Common Interview Questions
Do you Want the Job?
- How did you become interested in the __________ industry?
- Why did you choose to attend Penn State?
- Why did you decide to major in ___________?
- Describe your most rewarding college experience and why.
- Where do you see yourself in five years?
- What is one of the biggest challenges facing the __________ industry today?
Can You Do The Job?
- Tell me a little bit about yourself.
- What are your greatest strengths? What is your greatest weakness?
- How has your (relevant experience) helped to prepare you for a career in _________?
- Two staff members are yelling at each other in the lobby of our office building with customers in ear-shot. As a co-worker walking by and observing this confrontation, what would you do?
- What qualities do you possess that will make you a successful professional in this field?
- How would your education/training benefit you in this position?
Will You Fit In?
- How would someone who knows you well describe you?
- Tell me about a conflict you previously had with another person, and how you dealt with that conflict?
- If you disagreed with something your supervisor asked you to do, what would you do?
- Tell me about a time when you worked as part of a team. What did you do to contribute to the team?
- Why is an appreciation of diversity important for an organization to be successful? Can you share any experiences you’ve had working with people different than you?
- A co-worker comes in your office, closes the door, and begins to talk negatively about someone else that works here. What would you do?
Are You Self-Sufficient?
- What was one of your biggest problems you’ve had to overcome? How did you get through it?
- A customer calls you with a question, and you don’t have the answer. What do you do?
- What is your approach to time management? Explain your method of managing your time in college and why it has been effective.
- If you disagreed with a co-worker on how to handle a customer’s concern, what would you do?
- Do you tend to embrace change, or avoid it? Give me an example of when you dealt with change.
- Share a time when you coordinated a program or organized a project, and describe the process.