Your Online Presence
|Facebook, Twitter and Pinterest|
|Managing Your Online Presence|
Penn State Career Connection is Career Services’ own group on Linked In - one of the most
respected online professional networking sites.
- Build a professional online presence
- Connect with employers and uncover job opportunities
- Identify real people working in your fields of interest
- Participate in discussions relevant to your career goals
- Learn life-long networking skills
- Penn State Career Connection - What it is
- Build a Professional Profile (PDF)
- Network Professionally (PDF)
- Conduct Essential Employer Research (PDF)
- Using LinkedIn Training Videos
Read more: Managing Your Online Presence
Everywhere you turn, social media is there. As you transition from your student life into your professional life, be sure that the message you send out is one that you would share with a potential employer.
This professional networking site is often underutilized by students during their time at Penn State. Create your profile early and start building a network. Join groups related to your interests and start participating in discussions. Learn who the leaders are in the fields you are interested in and start connecting with the companies they work for.
When thinking of how to integrate one of the most common social media outlets into your professional life, be cautious of what you post. No matter your privacy settings, potential employers can access your site through shared friends, interns, and other personal connections. Be sure that the groups you like and the photos you share reflect the you that you want a potential employer to see!
This micro-blogging site can give good insight into your daily happenings. If all your tweets highlight your weekend activities, think again about how you use this application. Remember that Twitter posts come up on internet search results. A good piece of advice, don’t post anything online that you wouldn’t want to see as the headline of tomorrow’s newspaper.