Get Connected is an event designed to provide meaningful experiences for all students enrolled in First Year Seminars (FYS). Due to the need for presenters and the lack of extra staff, we have designed a program to meet the students' needs right here at Career Services. Get Connected allows first year students to attend an orientation to learn more about our office, during the semester in which they are enrolled in their seminar.
Students who participate will be able to:
- Identify the issues/questions appropriate to discuss with a career counselor
- Access career-related information in the library and online related to their career area(s) of interest (handouts created for a wide-variety of career areas will be available for students)
- Appreciate the different approaches to making career decisions
- Understand the need to effectively market yourself to prospective employers
- Provide the location for the Bank of America Career Services Center and the locations of the various functions within the Center
- Be aware of the potential for networking with Penn State Alumni
An interactive, activity-based event where students will start by registering in the lobby, receive an activity stamp card, and move about the building to:
- Meet in small groups with career counselors
- Reviewing resources in the career library – specific handouts for various career interest areas for students to take away with print and web resources listed, as well as advice from the career counselors
- Learn more about what employers want during "Minute to Win It"
- Learn how to connect and network with Penn State alumni through the LionLink program
First-Year Seminar Instructors’ Options:
- Require or encourage students to attend the event to learn more about the services and programs Career Services offers to assist them in their career planning.
- Activity Stamp Card: Students will receive stamps from Career Services staff member(s) at all three designated supplied at the registration table - stamps will be given out only after a student participates/engages in the activities/discussions
- Written Assignments: Students will complete a written assignment based on the event (see sample assignments)