Provide a meaningful experience for all students enrolled in First-Year Seminars (FYS) each semester In the past, we have not been able to provide presenters for all requests due to the staff resources Therefore, this program would allow all FYS students to attend an orientation to Career Services within the semester they take their course.
Students who participate will be able to:
- Identify the issues/questions appropriate to discuss with a career counselor
- Access career-related information in the library and online related to their career area(s) of interest (handouts created for a wide-variety of career areas will be available for students)
- Appreciate the different approaches to making career decisions
- Understand the need to effectively market yourself to prospective employers
- Provide the location for the Bank of America Career Services Center and the locations of the various functions within the Center
- Be aware of the potential for networking with Penn State Alumni
An interactive, activity-based event students will enter and register (swipe their ID) in the lobby, receive a map / informational handout for the various informational activities and then move about the building:
- Meeting individually (or in small groups) with the career counselors in the counseling suite
- Reviewing resources in the career library – specific handouts for various career interest areas for students to take away with print and web resources listed, as well as advice from the career counselors
- Learn more about what employers want during "Minute to Win It"
- Learn how to connect and network with Penn State alumni through the LionLink program
First-Year Seminar Instructors’ Options:
- Require students to attend one of the sessions (either on their own time or in lieu of class for that week) and complete one or all of the following:
- Swipe student ID at the registration station upon entering – faculty may supply a list of their students’ Access ID’s and Career Services will indicate the students who attended
- Receive initials from the Career Services staff member at all five or a designated number of the informational activity stations throughout the building on the handout supplied at the registration table – initials will be given only after a student participates/engages in the activities/discussions
- Complete a written assignment (see sample assignments)
- Encourage students to attend to learn more about the services and programs Career Services offers to assist them in their career planning.