Know the Code logo which links to the Know the Code Quiz

News & Events

collage of images - Old Main, students sitting in a classroom, and downtown State College

FAQ for Faculty and Staff

Click here to report an incident

What should I do if I am concerned about a student's behavior?

If you are concerned about an immediate or serious threat, call 911 or contact the Behavior Threat Management Team at Penn State. If you believe that a student's behavior constitutes a violation of the Code of Conduct, are concerned about a disturbing interaction you've had with a student, or are concerned about a classroom disruption that occurred, you can report an incident and bring the behavior to the attention of the Office of Student Conduct in the form of an allegation of student misconduct.

Return to top

What services do you provide for resolving disputes involving students?

Students may invite faculty and staff members to participate in a formal mediation to resolve disputes. Mediation is a process in which two individuals or groups meet to resolve a conflict with the facilitation and help of a neutral third party.  Mediators are trained to assist people in airing their concerns, clearing up misunderstandings, and arriving at a resolution that is agreeable to both parties.  Mediation sessions at Penn State are conducted confidentially and safely by trained mediators. Information about how to request a mediation.

Return to top

How does the Office of Student Conduct handle Academic Integrity issues?

In most cases, a faculty member would begin by discussing the issue with the student and providing the student an opportunity to respond. If an academic integrity violation is suspected, the faculty member may file an Academic Integrity Form and specify and charge and sanction. The student then has the choice to accept or contest the charge. If the academic violation is considered extreme, the faculty member may opt to pursue a disciplinary action in conjunction with the college’s AI Committee and the Office of Student Conduct (OSC). In situations where the allegation is referred to OSC, the academic sanctions will be carried out by OSC in consultation with the campus or college Academic Integrity Committee. Once a student has been informed that academic dishonesty is suspected, the student may not drop the course during the adjudication process. A student who has received an academic sanction as a result of a violation of academic integrity may not drop or withdraw from the course at any time. Possible sanctions range from a loss of points on an assignment, to a disciplinary warning, to disciplinary probation or suspension. Another possible sanction is the assigning of an XF grade, which is a notation of academic dishonesty that is placed on a student’s transcript for a period of time, or until specified conditions have been met. At that time, the “X” will be removed and the “F” will remain on the transcript. The notation is reserved for the most serious breaches of academic integrity, which may include repeat misconduct.


Return to top

How can I volunteer my time with the Office of Student Conduct?

Staff and faculty can serve as advisors to students going through the conduct process. The advisor, upon request of the student, may advise the student in the preparation and presentation of a defense; accompany the student to all discipline hearings; and advise the student in the preparation of any appeals. Staff and faculty may also serve on University Conduct Boards. Please contact studentconduct@sa.psu.edu for more information about becoming involved.

Return to top

How can I keep my students informed about the Code of Conduct?

You can invite Office of Student Conduct staff into your classroom to deliver presentations about the Code of Conduct, the conduct process, or any special topics related to the Office of Student Conduct's services and operations. Please contact studentconduct@sa.psu.edu for more information.

Return to top

120 Boucke Building | 814.863.0342 | Contact the Office of Student Conduct