Crisis Information

Emergencies: 911

CAPS (Mon-Fri, 8am-5pm):
(814) 863-0395

Penn State Crisis Line (24/7):
(877) 229-6400

Crisis Text Line (24/7):
txt "LIONS" to 741741

CAPS Locations

- Student Health Center (SHC)
- Bank of America (BoA)
- Allenway Building (Downtown)
View locations on the map

Commonwealth Campus Services

Connect with CAPS

Twitter icon Facebook icon

News & Events

collage of students involved in individual and group counselling sessions

How to help a friend who is struggling with an eating disorder

show you care, communicate, ask, reach, engage.

If your friend seems to be struggling with an eating disorder such as anorexia or bulimia, you can SHOW YOU CARE:

Communicate Care & Concern

Ask, Assess, & Affirm

Reach for Resources & Refer

Especially if your friend is experiencing dramatic weight loss or seems to be purging frequently (by vomiting or laxative use) and/or is experiencing physical signs such as heart rate irregularity or fainting, it's important for them to be assessed by a health and mental health professional and receive treatment. Eating disorders are serious conditions that can be life threatening.

The staff at CAPS includes eating disorder specialists. They can give you advice and see your friend for a consultation to determine the best evaluation and treatment plan. Services are coordinated through a Healthy Eating and Living Support program (HEALS) in the Student Health Center that offers a multidisciplinary team approach to the treatment of eating disorders.

Resources include:

Engage, Explain and Eliminate Danger

For more information about eating disorders and body image, visit the National Eating Disorder Association and a project from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Office on Women's Health on healthy body image.

501 Student Health Center | 814.863.0395 | Contact Counseling & Psychological Services