University Health Services | Get Tested FAQ


panoramic closeup image of the front glass, offices, and entry to the Student Health Center


Health Promotion and Wellness

women in waiting area


Self-Referral Alcohol Intervention Services

Are you concerned about your drinking? If so, answering the following questions will help you find out if you have a problem.

  1. Have you ever felt you should cut down on your drinking?
  2. Do your friends get annoyed by your drinking?
  3. Have you ever felt bad or guilty about your drinking?
  4. Have you ever had a drink first thing in the morning to relieve anxiety or to get rid of a hangover?
  5. Do you drink to reduce stress?

If you answered “yes” to one of these questions it is possible that you have a problem with alcohol. Answering “yes” to more than one suggests it is highly likely that you have a problem. If you think you or someone you know might have a problem with alcohol, it is important to get help right away.

There are resources on campus to help you. Here are your options:

  1. Contact Jason Whitney, Coordinator of Penn State’s Campus Recovery Community. Jason can arrange for you to talk with another student who will understand what you are experiencing. Jason can be reached at 814-863-0140 or Free and confidential.
  2. Call Health Promotion and Wellness at 814-863-0461 to schedule an appointment with a staff member. Say “I’d like to make a free appointment to talk to someone about alcohol.” Appointments are free and confidential.
  3. Call Counseling and Psychological Services at 814-863-0395 to schedule an appointment with an alcohol and drug counselor. Appointments are free and confidential.

You can also complete a more extensive anonymous on-line screening about alcohol:

back to top

Student Health Center | 814.865.6556 | Contact University Health Services