University Health Services | Get Tested FAQ


panoramic closeup image of the front glass, offices, and entry to the Student Health Center




Frequently Asked Questions

What insurance is accepted at University Health Services?

University Health Services is now participating with outside insurances. We request that you provide UHS with your insurance information prior to or at your first visit. Please check with your insurance company to verify coverage for UHS services. Visit the insurance page for more information.


Will my insurance company cover UHS services?

We recommend that you find out ahead of time if your insurance will cover your care at UHS, as there may be restrictions on primary care doctor’s who are outside of the insurance company’s network. (Your insurance card may have HMO or EPO on it.) Please contact your insurance company about your coverage. 

What do I need to ask my insurance company?

Tell the insurance company that your son/daughter is a student at Penn State University Park campus and ask whether you will need:


Ask whether your son/daughter will need a referral or prior authorization in order to be seen at UHS.


Your insurance provider may ask for the following information: Tax ID #246000376 or NPI# 1316063126.  UHS’ Address: 308 Student Health Center; University Park, PA 16802.

If my visit is not covered by my insurance, what should I do?

If health care at University Health Services is not covered by your insurance; we recommend that you consider purchasing student health insurance through Penn State or another insurer to help defray your health care costs while attending college.

If you have more than one insurance plan or your insurance changes, please let the front desk staff know upon your first visit. This will prevent problems with the insurance companies.


What if I have an HMO?

HMO’s, Geisinger Health Plan, and Kaiser Permanente may not participate with UHS. Please contact your customer service representative for a referral to UHS or to a provider contracted with your plan. Visit the insurance page for more information.


What if I have medical assistance?

UHS is working to obtain contracts for Medical Assistance both in-state and out-of-state. Currently, UHS accepts the in-network Pennsylvania fee-for-service plan, which generally offers coverage for 30 days. If you have any other Medical Assistance plan, it is best to contact your plan and find a participating provider in the area. If you choose to be seen at UHS, you will need to obtain authorization from your insurance plan to be seen. If you do not obtain authorization, you may be responsible for your charges for the visit.


What will my visit cost?

The fee for a basic clinic visit ranges from $38 to $280 for established patients. New patient visits cost $83 to $400, reflecting the additional medical and family history review and other processes necessary for new patients. These fees cover clinician services and many supplies and minor procedures. There are additional charges for some procedures and all ancillary services, such as laboratory tests, x-rays, ultrasound, physical therapy, pharmacy, and ambulance. The cost of your visit will be determined by your nurse and/or clinician’s actual assessment and treatment. Check with the reception desk staff for the charges for specific services.


How do I pay my bill?

Most claims will be sent to your insurance company. If you did not give us your insurance information at your first visit, you have 24 hours to get this information to UHS. Once 24 hours have passed, the charges will be posted to your Bursar’s account. You can print the bill from myUHS and submit the charges to your insurance company. You are responsible for any charges that your insurance company does not cover. This amount will be posted to your Bursar’s account and you will be responsible to pay those fees.

If you do not want charges sent to your insurance company, notify the receptionist and arrange to pay by cash, check or credit card (Discover, Visa, or MasterCard). You can also charge your bill to your Bursar’s account.

How can I get a copy of my bill?

Student’s bills are available through myUHS. You will be asked to provide your Penn State WebAccess user ID in order to enter our secure website. Select “Billing Statements.” Select visit date. Click “Print Statement” on the upper right of the screen. Print a copy of your bill. Pharmacy and ambulance bills are not available online.

Please note: This website is not your e-Lion account. This website provides you with copies of your bill for your records and to submit to your insurance company. Charges that have been uploaded to your student account will appear in e-Lion. Payment is made to the Bursar either through e-Lion or at the Bursar’s Office in 103 Shields Building.


Student Health Center | 814.865.6556 | Contact University Health Services