University Health Services (UHS) strives to provide quality, compassionate care to all students. We encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider about your sexual identity, gender identity and sexual behavior. In order to provide you with the best and most appropriate care, providers must be fully informed. Your care and any information disclosed to your provider is strictly confidential. Respect for diversity is expected of all UHS providers. UHS staff participate in ongoing diversity training, including training on LGBT issues. If you have concerns about your treatment, please contact Dr. Evan Pattishall, director of clinical services, or Mary Alyce Nelson, assistant director of clinical operations and director of nursing.
Your care and any information disclosed to your provider is strictly confidential. Learn more about confidentiality at UHS.
Services for Transgender Patients
UHS providers who specialize in the care of transgender patients are happy to evaluate, treat and/or refer, to insure your needs are met. Our clinicians will serve you in every aspect of your care. Students undergoing hormonal therapy can bring their medication along with an order from the prescribing physician to a UHS provider for review and administration. Nurses can also teach self-administration of medication.
Medications can be special ordered through the UHS pharmacy. Please check with your insurance provider regarding policy requirements and specific benefits.
Please indicate if you prefer a name other than your current legal name when scheduling your appointment (either online through myUHS or with the telephone appointment scheduler). A note will be added to your medical chart and your medical team will use this name while caring for you. You can also indicate your transition status while scheduling your first appointment. This will help your health care team provide you with the best care possible.
Gender-neutral restrooms are available within the Student Health Center.
Traveling abroad? Your passport can now reflect your gender identity if you have a letter from a physician stating that you have had appropriate clinical treatment (which means appropriate for that person, it no longer specifies surgery or anything else, it’s now a clinical judgment call).
LGBT Health Topics
- Ten Things Gay Men Should discuss with Their Healthcare Provider (GLMA site)
- Ten Things Lesbians Should discuss with Their Healthcare Provider (GLMA site)
- Ten Things Transgender Persons Should discuss with Their Healthcare Provider (GLMA site)
Resources available through UHS (or other Penn State units)
- Men’s Health Services
- Women’s Health Services
Students may include coverage for same sex domestic partners as part of the student health insurance plans offered through Penn State. For details about the plans or how to include same sex partner coverage, contact the Student Health Insurance Office.
Hormone therapy is covered by the Penn State student health insurance plans. Contact the Student Health Insurance Office for details.
- Addiction Counseling (CAPS)
- Alcohol Intervention
- Depression and Anxiety Counseling and Support Groups (CAPS)
- Diet and Exercise (Healthy Penn State)
- Domestic Violence (CWS)
- Free condoms, dental dams and lube
- Freedom from Smoking
- Hepatitis and HPV Immunizations
- Marijuana Intervention
- Sexual Health Information
- STI Testing and Counseling
LGBTA Support Network Participants at UHS
- Bethany Beissel, Physician Assistant
- Curt Swagler, Physician
- David Garrison, Physician
- Jill Buchanan, Nurse Practitioner
- Joan Donahey, LPN
- Linda LaSalle, Associate Director of Educational Services
- Lynn Huddell, Physician Assistant and Clinical Manager
- Mary Pat Griffin, 4th Floor Nurse
- Natahsha Gates, Case Manager
- Nora Maginnis, Nurse Practitioner
- Shelley Haffner-Nurse Manager
- Yvonne Patterson, Physician
LGBTA Support Network Participants at Other Campuses
- Essie Auker (Altoona Campus)-Health and Wellness
- Joy Himmel (Altoona Campus)-Health and Wellness
- Barbara McDanel (Beaver Campus)-Campus Nurse
- Alice Holland (Berks Campus)-CRNP Health Services
- Marylou Martz (Harrisburg Campus)-Student Health Services
- Anne Balko (Hazleton Campus)-Health Services
- Melissa Hoffman (Hershey Campus)-Women’s Health Medical Assistant
- Michele Coletta (Mont Alto Campus)-Health Services
- Cecelia Boran (Schuylkill Campus)-Health Services
Additional Online and Campus Resources
- Gay & Lesbian Medical Association (GLMA)
- The National LGBT Cancer Project – Out With Cancer
- World Professional Association for Transgender Health (WPATH)
- The Aids Project of Centre County
- Gay, Lesbian ans Straight Education Network (GLSEN)
- Human Rights Campaign (HRC)
- National Gay and Lesbian Task Force (NGLTF)
- Parents, Families and Friends of Lesbians and Gays (PFLAG)
- Penn State LGBTA Student Resource Center
- Trans* Sexual Health - Video Series
Standards of Care for LGBT Patients:
- Clinical Practice Guidelines - The Endocrine Society
- Guidelines for Care of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Patients (GLMA)
- Standards of Care (WPATH)
- Vancouver Coastal Health