Aetna Student Health
Penn State students are eligible to purchase a student health insurance plan for the upcoming academic year. All undergraduate students taking three or more credits or graduate students taking one or more credits are eligible to purchase the plan. The plan is offered online through Aetna Student Health Insurance.
The Student Health Insurance office is responsible for administering the health insurance plan for Penn State students:
- The Graduate Assistant & Graduate Fellow Insurance, which is available as a benefit to Graduate Assistants and Graduate Fellow.
- The Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan, which is available to undergraduate and graduate students:
- who have no health insurance coverage;
- who need supplemental insurance because their current plan does not provide adequate coverage while they are at Penn State.
- who are international students and must comply with Penn State's Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement
- The Hershey Medical Students Insurance, which is available to medical students at the Penn State College of Medicine
- The Penn State Education Abroad Insurance Plan, which is designed especially for the participants in the Penn State University approved Education Abroad Programs.
Other Health Insurance Plans
Health insurance is strongly recommended for all students. If your current insurance policy does not cover care at UHS, you should consider purchasing student health insurance through Penn State.
*Important note about Geisinger Health Plan (GHP)*
Geisinger Health Plan will not pay for services at University Health Services. Contact GHP customer service for either an authorization to be seen at UHS or a referral to another local provider.
Penn State requires international students, their accompanying spouses and/or children to demonstrate that they have health insurance coverage. If you are an international student who has not yet reviewed or completed the University's waiver process for the mandatory health insurance requirement, please see Penn State's Mandatory Health Insurance Requirement .
World Campus Students
Please note that student health insurance is not available to World Campus students.
Location and Hours
Student Health Insurance is located in 302 Student Health Center. You may also contact us by e-mail or call us at 814.865.7467. Student Insurance is open during regular business hours Monday through Friday.