Each year Penn State selects a student health insurance plan and makes it available to undergraduate and graduate students:
- who have no health insurance coverage
- who need supplemental insurance because their current plan does not provide adequate coverage while they are at Penn State
- who are international students who must comply with Penn State's mandatory insurance requirement
The Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan is underwritten by Aetna Life Insurance Company.
You are eligible to participate in Penn State's student insurance program if:
- you are a registered undergraduate student taking 3 or more credit hours;
- you are a registered graduate student taking 1 or more credit hours;
- you are a graduate student enrolled in a departmental 601, 610 or 611 course;
- you are a student enrolled in the Intensive English Communication Program (IECP); you are a student who participates in a cooperative work experience program as part of your required academic program.
- If you are a student at Pennsylvania College of Technology, please contact the Student Health Services at Penn College for information on student insurance options. Call (570) 320-5234
Students must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date for which coverage is purchased.
You are not eligible to participate in Penn State's student insurance program if you are enrolled in courses that do not fulfill the eligibility requirements that students actively attend classes, such as:
- you are enrolled in Independent Study through correspondence classes.
- you are enrolled in home study, correspondence, and television courses
Also, please note that student health insurance is not available to World Campus students.
The Insurance Company maintains its right to investigate student status and attendance records to verify that the policy eligibility requirements have been met. If, and whenever, the Company discovers that the policy eligibility requirements have not been met, its only obligation is refund of premium.
Eligible students who do enroll may also insure their dependents. Eligible dependents are the spouse/domestic partner and dependent children under 26 years of age who are not self-supporting. Dependent eligibility expires concurrently with that of the insured student.
Please note: University Health Services does not provide health care services to children; dependent children of students insured through the Penn Sate Student Accident and Sickness Insurance Plan. See information about area health care services for children.
Deadlines for enrollment in this insurance plan are as follows:
- Fall 2015 - September 8, 2015
- Spring 2016 - January 19, 2016
- First Summer - May 23, 2016
- Second Summer - July 7, 2016
A completed application and the payment of the premium must be received online by the Aetna Student Health or by paper application, if applicable, by Penn State Student Health on or before the enrollment deadline listed above. Premium received after these dates will be returned. Date of postmark does not fulfill this requirement.