University Health Services | Get Tested FAQ


panoramic closeup image of the front glass, offices, and entry to the Student Health Center


Education Abroad Insurance Plan


female student studying


General Information

In keeping with best practices in the field of international education, Global Programs and Penn State Student Health Insurance have collaborated to provide a comprehensive student health insurance plan that will provide consistent health insurance coverage and emergency assistance for Penn State students studying or traveling abroad. The insurance plan is underwritten by H T H Worldwide and must be processed for all international excursions for all students, regardless of duration or other insurance coverage.

With this coverage, students will have access to reliable global medical and assistance services when they are overseas, which will minimize the risk of problems while traveling. This plan has been tailored specifically to the needs of students participating in Penn State education abroad programs (semester, short-term or individuals).

What Does HTH Insurance Cover?

This is a comprehensive insurance plan that will cover all reasonable medical expenses such as physician office visits, inpatient and emergency hospital services, prescription drugs, and mental and nervous disorders including drug or alcohol abuse. This plan also covers emergency evacuation in cases of natural disasters, political upheaval or medical emergencies. For a list of the features and benefits for participants covered under this plan, please read the 2015-2016 Penn State HTH Insurance Plan brochure.

HTH 24/7 Assistance

If a student becomes sick or injured while on their Education Abroad program, they should contact HTH and their on-site coordinator as soon as possible.

How Do Students Enroll in HTH Insurance?

Students accepted into a Penn State Academic Year, Semester or Summer Education Abroad Program are automatically enrolled in the HTH Insurance Plan.

Students participating in an Embedded Program Short Term Trip will receive an email from HTH, after they are registered by their faculty leader, with information on how to pay for insurance coverage.

Students participating in a Non-Embedded Program Short Term Trip will receive an email from HTH, after they are registered by their program coordinator, with information on how to pay for insurance coverage.

Program Coordinators of Non-Embedded Program Short Term trips should contact Student Health Insurance at 814.865.7467 or by email to receive a Roster Form necessary to register the participants with HTH.

Is Additional Health Insurance Necessary When Students Choose to Travel Before/After Their Education Abroad Program?

Students who plan to travel abroad before or after a Penn State-sponsored program are strongly encouraged to enroll in the Penn State - HTH Extended Coverage plan for any additional days of travel. The extended plan offers the same coverage and benefits as the regular HTH insurance plan. In some cases, a country's visa regulations will require that a student have insurance coverage throughout their stay in the country; HTH is often the best and easiest option in these situations. Students must consult with the host country's consulate or immigration department to obtain country-specific visa information.


Non-Penn State Participants

Faculty & Staff Traveling Internationally on University Business

Please visit the Office of  Corporate Controller's site for resources for faculty and staff.

Students Traveling Individually on an International Internship or Research Program

Students participating in an individual international internship program or an individual research program through Penn State University should enroll directly with HTH Worldwide.

This link should NOT be used by any student traveling aboard with a group of students/faculty/staff.

Student Health Center | 814.863.0774 | Contact University Health Services