The Penn State Waiver Standards for the Penn State Mandatory Insurance Requirement are in accordance with the Affordable Care Act (ACA). International students that already have a health insurance policy must demonstrate proof of insurance for themselves (and any accompanying dependents: spouse and/or children) by submitting a waiver application to student health insurance.
Waiver Standards for International Students and Their Dependents
For international students and their accompanying dependents, a comparable health insurance plan will:
- Must be an provided by an entity or carrier that is approved to do business in the U.S.;
- Travel insurance is not acceptable.
- Insurance that covers emergencies only is not acceptable.
- Must provide preventative care and FDA approved contraceptives covered at 100% (for plans that have in-network/out-of-network providers, coverage at 100% for in-network providers only is acceptable);
- Must include coverage for both accident and sickness;
- Must include coverage for all pre-existing conditions with no limits for the coverage;
- Must have a deductible not in excess of $500 per individual, per policy (academic) year;
- Must have coverage for hospital room, board, miscellaneous hospital expenses, physician expenses in and out of the hospital, ambulance service, outpatient labs, x-rays and diagnostic tests without specific limitations for the treatment of medical conditions;
- Must have coverage for pregnancy as any other illness or injury;
- Must have an unlimited benefit for any illness or injury as per ACA guidelines;
- Must have inpatient and outpatient, mental health and substance abuse coverage and must be covered as any other illness or injury;
- Must have coverage for injuries or illnesses that occur as a result of alcohol, illegal drugs or as the result of an attempt to commit suicide and must be covered as any other illness or injury;
- Must have prescription drug coverage with a minimum of $100,000 coverage per policy (academic) year;
- Must pay benefits worldwide (exemption from coverage in an international student’s home country is acceptable);
- Or must have a U.S. Employer sponsored health insurance (F Visas only) in place of standards 1-12.
- And must have provision for medical evacuation of not less than $50,000 to an international student’s home country; and
- And must have provision for repatriation (after death, removal of remains) of not less than $25,000 to an international student’s home country.
To Complete the Waiver Process
Waiver applications must be submitted on an annual basis each fall semester.
For yourself: Please complete the online waiver application throughAetna Student Health. You will need a copy of your current health insurance ID card and your health insurance brochure or plan description before you start the waiver. Your online application will be reviewed and you will receive an e-mail approving or denying your application from Student Health Insurance.
For dependents: Please note that international dependent waivers must be completed through the Student Health Insurance office.