Confidential HIV/AIDS tests are available two ways at UHS.
Health Promotion and Wellness (HPW)
- Call 814.863.0461
- Blood test only
- No charge for Penn State students (funded through the Pennsylvania Department of Health)
- Results back in approximately 2 weeks. Confidential results are not part of your medical record and are not shared with UHS.
- Call 814.863.0774
- There is a charge for the blood test through the clnic.
- Results back in approximately 2 weeks for tests ordered by a UHS clinician.
Students receive counseling to help understand the results, to examine behaviors that necessitated the test, and to create risk reduction plans for the future. Students participate in a 30-minute appointment prior to the testing.
- The HIV test is the 4th Generation HIV 1/2 Antigen and Antibody test, which detects the HIV 1/2 antigens and antibodies as well as the p24 Antigen. This allows for earlier detection with a median of 5-7 days over previously utilized immunoassay testing. Further testing may be required based on the CDC HIV testing algorithm.
Other local resources for testing for HIV/AIDS and sexually transmitted infections (STI) include:
- AIDS Resource, 129 S. Sparks St Suite #1, State College, PA 814-272-0818 (Appt. only - Free oral swab HIV test and HIV + support)
- Department of Health 814-865-0932 (Appt. only)
Students at Penn State campuses other than University Park may contact the campus health office or other community resources for further information.
Additional information about HIV/AIDS is available on the CDC website.
If you are a student who is interested in helping others and would like to become a student volunteer with the Peer Health Educator Program, please call the Health Promotion and Wellness office at 814.863.0461 or e-mail promotinghealthATpsu.edu.
Other opportunities for involvement in the fight against HIV/AIDS and STIs are available through HealthWorks.