Would you like help reducing consequences related to alcohol use? If so, LionsCare can help. LionsCare is a free, confidential text messaging service shown to be effective in reducing alcohol-related consequences. This service is for Penn State students only.
To sign up:
Text the word HEALTH to 412-906-4450
- You will receive a text to confirm your enrollment.
- Each Thursday you will receive a text message checking in on your plans to drink over the weekend. You will receive follow-up messages tailored to your drinking plans.
- On Sunday you will receive another text message to check on your drinking since Thursday. Tailored messages will be sent based on your behavior.
- LionsCare is a 12-week program.
What type of messages will I receive?
- Educational information about the dangers of drinking and norms of drinking.
- Messages to help you reduce harms associated with dangerous drinking.
- Statements supporting drinking behaviors that reduce the harms associated with dangerous drinking.
- Tools to help you develop confidence dealing with the social pressure that can go along with drinking in college.
Who created LionsCare?
- LionsCare is the Penn State version of CaringTXT©
- CaringTXT© is a product of healthStratica, LLC
Does CaringTXT work?
Recent research (Suffoletto, Kristan, Callaway, Kim, Chung, Monti, & Clark, 2014) about CaringTXT shows:
- Participants report the messages are helpful
- 80% of participants report they would recommend it to others
- Participants experienced a significant reduction in binge drinking
- Effects last at least 9 months
- 85% of participants completed the 12-week program
How will my information be used?
- All information, including your cell phone number, will be confidential
- Penn State will not have access to the cell phone numbers of participants
- Penn State will not have access to individual drinking data Penn State staff will only have access to de-identified, aggregate data
For additional information about LionsCare, please call Health Promotion and Wellness at (814) 863-0461.