Student Affairs Student Legal Services Home Publications Office & Staff Information

Student News & Events

'Make an appointment' links to intake form
image of the stone wall Pennsylvania State University sign in front of Beaver Stadium

General Information

image of student sitting in an office talking to her legal counsel image of three students sitting and having a discussion

Types of Cases

There are limitations on the types of cases we can handle. Student Legal Services cannot accept a case where there is a conflict of interest, where we are not qualified to render an opinion, where the case would disproportionately strain our resources, or where another state's law is applicable. We can only provide representation within Centre County.

We are required to make these decisions based on our professional ethics rules. We apologize if we are not able to help you with your particular case and we will make every effort to provide you with referral information so that you can get the legal assistance you need.

We are only available to University Park students with paid activity fees. We can't give someone advice for another person (such as when a student completes the intake form to ask a question on behalf of a non-student friend).

Here are some examples (there may be others not listed here) of the types of cases where our office can often provide consultation or representation.


Summary traffic citations

Summary non-traffic citations (such as alcohol violations)

ARD applications (such as first offense DUI and marijuana violations)

Criminal record expungements


Landlord tenant matters (lease reviews, security deposit returns)

Consumer issues

Some immigration issues

Uncontested divorce

Simple estate documents (wills, living wills, heath care powers)

Name change

248 East Calder Way, Suite 303 | 814.867.4388 | Contact Student Legal Services