Code of Ethics
The Center for Spiritual and Ethical Development (CESD) is a unit of Student Affairs at Penn State University charged with providing a venue and programs for the ethical, spiritual and character development of the University community. The campus spiritual leaders who are affiliated with the Center, share that mission. The Center recognizes that a successful community results only through trust, mutual respect, and the struggle that sharing sometimes requires, as individuals are invited beyond the familiar and across boundaries. There we can all find and celebrate our differences and, in doing so, can live with greater understanding, meaning, and peace. We will work together and guarantee the dignity of those with whom we work.
In this spirit we pledge:
- To nurture spiritual and ethical development among students, staff, and faculty.
- To create a safe climate where all can practice their religion or spirituality.
- To work through education and example toward eliminating prejudice, hatred, and violence.
- To recognize differences and promote religious harmony.
- Not to obstruct or harass any one engaged in programs and/or observances.
- Not to coerce or diminish, so as to take advantage of anyone's vulnerability.
- To support students' commitment to academics, to self, and to family.
- To respect confidentiality unless the safety of the individual or others is at risk.
- To promote integrity in matters of professional ethics.