University Health Services | Get Tested FAQ


panoramic closeup image of the front glass, offices, and entry to the Student Health Center


LGBT Health



malt student waiting for the doctor

two females talking and laughing together

close up of father and son

male student with his doctor


University Health Services (UHS) strives to provide quality, compassionate care to all students. We encourage you to talk to your healthcare provider about your sexual identity, gender identity and sexual behavior. In order to provide you with the best and most appropriate care, providers must be fully informed. Your care and any information disclosed to your provider is strictly confidential. Respect for diversity is expected of all UHS providers. UHS staff participate in ongoing diversity training, including training on LGBT issues. If you have concerns about your treatment, please contact Dr. Evan Pattishall, director of clinical services, or Mary Alyce Nelson, assistant director of clinical operations and director of nursing.


Your care and any information disclosed to your provider is strictly confidential. Learn more about confidentiality at UHS.

Services for Transgender Patients

UHS providers who specialize in the care of transgender patients are happy to evaluate, treat and/or refer, to insure your needs are met. Our clinicians will serve you in every aspect of your care. Students undergoing hormonal therapy can bring their medication along with an order from the prescribing physician to a UHS provider for review and administration. Nurses can also teach self-administration of medication.

Medications can be special ordered through the UHS pharmacy. Please check with your insurance provider regarding policy requirements and specific benefits.

Preferred Name

Please indicate if you prefer a name other than your current legal name when scheduling your appointment (either online through myUHS or with the telephone appointment scheduler). A note will be added to your medical chart and your medical team will use this name while caring for you. You can also indicate your transition status while scheduling your first appointment. This will help your health care team provide you with the best care possible.


Gender-neutral restrooms are available within the Student Health Center.


Traveling abroad? Your passport can now reflect your gender identity if you have a letter from a physician stating that you have had appropriate clinical treatment (which means appropriate for that person, it no longer specifies surgery or anything else, it’s now a clinical judgment call).

LGBT Health Topics

Resources available through UHS (or other Penn State units)

LGBTA Support Network Participants at UHS

LGBTA Support Network Participants at Other Campuses

Additional Online and Campus Resources

Health-Related Resouces

General Resources

Standards of Care for LGBT Patients:

Student Health Center | 814.865.6556 | Contact University Health Services