General Information

panoramic closeup image of the front glass, offices, and entry to the Student Health Center


Frequently Asked Questions


How much will my appointment cost?


Office visit charges for new patients can run from $83 to $402 depending on the level of care needed at the time of visit.  Office visit charges for established patients can run from $38 to $279.  There are additional charges for lab, X-Ray, physical therapy, and pharmacy. UHS will submit patients' bills to their insurance companies.  If we are in-network with your plan, we will accept what your insurance company pays and only charge you for co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles.  If your insurance company does not cover a particular service, you may be liable for that portion of the bill also.  If we are out-of-network with your insurance company you may be responsible for the entire amount of the bill. For more information, see our Insurance Billing page.


We strongly recommend that you contact your insurance company to verify what type of coverage you have in the State College area.


Will UHS accept my insurance?

U H S accepts some insurances. See a complete list of accepted providers on our Insurance Billing page. Please note that we will bill all insurances, so if you are seen here and your insurance is not accepted, out of network benefits, if you have them, will apply.

We recommend that students without health insurance purchase the Penn State Aetna Student Health Plan.

How do I make an appointment or talk to a nurse?

It's easy to do both!

Can my parents access my medical records?

All medical records are held in strict confidence. Although this high degree of confidentiality may be a concern to parents seeking information, medical information is released only with the student's written consent, or by a court-ordered subpoena. Students using their parent's insurance may want to call their provider ahead of time to learn what will be listed on their Explanation of Benefits. For more information, see our Confidentialty page.

Will my parents find out why I was seen at UHS if I bill my visit to my student account?

On your student account bill, only "health center charge" or a variation of that such as "health center charge - pharm" is listed. However, if you use your parent's health insurance, more specific information about your visit is included on your Explanation of Benefits. We recommend that you call your insurance company ahead of time to see what is listed.

If I think I might have a sexually transmitted infection (STI), where can I go for help?

If you have symptoms, simply visit myUHS or call 863.0774 to schedule a convenient time to meet with one of our clinicians. You'll be able to discuss your concerns, get an examination and have any lab tests (as recommended by the clinician) done during your appointment. Your care is confidential. If you do not have any symptoms, use our self-test option.

How can I get started on birth control pills or get my prescription renewed?

A routine gynecological exam is no longer required prior to starting some hormonal birth control methods. If a non-UHS clinician provided prescription birth control, such as birth control pills, and you want to refill your prescription through UHS, you will need to complete a health history form and briefly meet with a health care provider. At that visit, your health history will be reviewed and risks and benefits of the hormonal method you selected will be reviewed with you. In most cases, a pelvic exam will not be required in order to get a prescription for hormonal birth control.

When is UHS open?

Please see our homepage for a list of current times.

I'd like to volunteer to get experience for my major. Where do I go?

U H S offers numerous volunteer opportunities to become involved in a health-related student organization. It's is a great way to make friends, participate in interesting projects, gain practical experience and start building your resume!

What do those initials on my health care provider's name badge mean?

Designations that tend to confuse people are "P.A.," "N.P.," and "D.O."

Where can I go for psychological services on campus?

Counseling and Psychological Services (C A P S) is your on-campus source for psychological services. C A P S is located on the fifth floor of the Student Health Center.

Have a question that isn't answered here?

You can always e-mail us at uhsinfoAT

back to top

Student Health Center | 814.865.6556 | Contact University Health Services