Healthy Penn State Ambassadors
Healthy Penn State, a campaign led by Health Promotion and Wellness, provides a holistic approach to promoting well-being. Healthy Penn State encourages the development and maintenance of a sound body, mind, and spirit. Healthy Penn State student ambassadors work with Health Promotion and Wellness staff to improve students' academic success by enhancing behaviors that promote health and reduce the incidence of behaviors that negatively impact the welfare of students.
- Healthy Penn State Mission
- Increase awareness among students about the connection between wellness and academic outcomes
- Promote positive attitudes toward healthy behaviors
- Educate students about healthy behaviors, including, but not limited to, nutrition, physical activity, sleep, and stress
- Promote health-focused resources on campus
- Benefits of becoming a Healthy Penn State ambassador
- Be a valuable health resource for your friends and peers
- Advocate for health-related programs and services at Penn State
- Promote wellness services on campus
- Make a difference in the health of Penn State students
- Build friendships and your professional network
- Work closely with health promotion staff
- Develop leadership skills
- Enhance your resume
- What do Healthy Penn State ambassadors do?
- Share information about health issues with students during informal interactions
- Role model healthy behaviors
- Participate in Healthy Penn State outreach events
- Distribute promotional materials to students
- Liaison for Healthy Penn State within your organization/club (e.g., send emails, speak to groups)
- Promote healthy behaviors in a variety of ways, including through social media
Training consists of a mandatory eight-hour training provided by Health Promotion and Wellness. The training will be held in either (2) four-hour sessions or (4) two-hour sessions. The training will address health issues relevant to the college population, health disparities among Penn State students, and the resources available at University Park. In addition, the training will cover health promotion strategies, motivational interviewing, goals and expectations of an ambassador, and health topics, including nutrition, physical activity, sleep, and stress.
- Time Commitment
Healthy Penn State ambassadors must be able to commit to at least one semester of service. The requirements include:
- Attending the mandatory eight-hour training
- Attending one-hour bi-weekly meetings
- Participating in one-three hours per week of Healthy Penn State promotional events
- How to Apply
- Fill out the Healthy Penn State ambassador form between August 20-31, 2018. You will be required to provide the name, e-mail address, and telephone number of a current/former employer, advisor, or instructor who can complete a recommendation form on your behalf. We will email the individual a form which s/he must complete by the deadline.
- Submit one copy of your unofficial (advising) transcript
- Drop it off in the Wellness Suite, 20 Intramural Building
- Scan and email a copy to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mail it to Health Promotion and Wellness, 20 Intramural Building, University Park, PA 16802
Instructions for Viewing & Printing Your Unofficial Transcript in LionPath:
- Log into LionPath
- From the other academic drop-down menu, select Transcript: View Unofficial.
- Click the double arrow (GO) The View Unofficial Transcript page is displayed.
- Select Advising Transcript from the Report Type drop-down menu.
- Click the view report Note: Do not click on any other buttons or links while processing is taking place. You will see a spinning wheel in the upper right corner of the screen, under the Sign out link, that will indicate your request is processing.
- A pdf of your unofficial transcript is displayed in a new window. Use the print option to print your unofficial transcript.
- Request a copy from the Penn State Registrar in 112 Shields Building.
Applicants will be notified if they are selected for an interview.