Skip to main content
COVID-19 Support Get Urgent Help


Student Organization Contracting Process

Student Affairs is committed to helping student organizations plan and implement successful programs that enhance the out-of-classroom experience for all students.

Be sure you plan ahead and take time to complete the following three items before your event:

  • Event Registration
  • Contracting
  • Insurance Verification

Insurance Information

Make sure the proper insurance precautions are taken before your event. Complete the necessary forms on the Student Organizations Insurance page.

Tips for Successful Contracting

When to Use Contracts

Contracts (University Standard Agreements) must be used whenever an organization/department is requesting a service from a 2nd party vendor (ex: DJ, Band, Comedian, Lecture, Sound Company) or whenever an organization is selling anything on consignment on Penn State property.  If a program is going to be held off-campus (on non-University property) you may not use the University Standard Agreement. However, in order to process payment to the vendor or artist, the organization should have some form of written agreement between both parties.

How to Get Started

All contracting must begin a minimum of 20 academic days prior to the date of the program.

To receive a contract you must first register your program.  To begin this process please stop by 125D HUB-Robeson Center and complete a program registration form.  Upon completing the appropriate forms you will be scheduled to meet with a program registration advisor who will issue the necessary contracts and the 1099 request form.  This advisor will be your contact throughout your program planning process.

Note:  Should you receive a contract or agreement from the artist or vendor, be sure to share this information with the program registration advisor during your meeting.  NEVER sign any agreement/contract without talking to a program registration advisor first.

One contract with original signatures is recommended but electronic signatures are permissible. Digital signatures are not acceptable per University policy.  Please follow the procedure below for securing the appropriate signatures.  Note: If your artist/vendor requires a contract with original signatures please let the contract advisor know at the beginning of the process.

Order of signatures

  1. Sponsor (student organization) mails all contracts or emails a copy of the contract to the artist/vendor for signature. The artist/vendor may then scan the signed agreement and e-mail it back to the student organization.
  2. Sponsor (student organization) obtains the signature of an officer of the organization (usually the President or Treasurer) on all contracts. The Treasurer must complete and sign the 1099 request form as ASA will not accept any other signatures.  The Treasurer, or authorized delegate, must obtain a Purchase Order from ASA and have the contract stamped.
  3. Sponsor obtains the Facility Manager signature on all contracts.
  4. Sponsor obtains the Authorized University Signature on all contracts.

Once all signatures have been obtained:

  • One original contract is retained for University records.
  • Sponsor is responsible for returning a copy of the original agreement to the artist/vendor.

Important Notes

  • The Non-Employee Information form is required anytime payment is being made to an individual. Other documentation may be required if payment is being made to a non-U.S. citizen. 
  • If an event is held on campus and the vendor/artist is not requesting payment, a University contract is still required.
  • In some instances, it may take up to 21 business days for payment to be processed.  Please plan accordingly.
Deciding Which Contract to Use

There are five different University Standardized Entertainment Agreements. Please read their descriptions to determine which type of contract is appropriate for your event.

University Master Entertainment Agreement 

This agreement is the catch-all that can be used for any type of event contracted on-campus except for fundraising or vendors.

Disc Jockey Agreement 

This agreement was developed as a result of the volume of Disc Jockeys being contracted and the need for a simpler more tailored contract than the Master Entertainment Agreement. When contracting Disc Jockeys either a Master Entertainment Agreement OR a Disc Jockey Agreement can be used.

Speaker Agreement

This agreement was developed as a result of the volume of Speakers being contracted and the need for a simpler more tailored contract than the Master Entertainment Agreement. When contracting Speakers a Master Entertainment Agreement OR a Speaker Agreement can be used.

Sound, Stage, and Lighting Agreement

This agreement was developed to address the needs for contracting sound, staging and/or lighting needs for an event. If a technician is coming with the equipment, it is required to use this agreement.

University Vendor Agreement 

This agreement should be used when a commercial vendor wants to sample products or promote products even if the product is not being sold. This agreement is for any on-campus fundraisers where a student group or University department is receiving a percentage of sales and/or is receiving a flat rate payment for sponsoring a vendor on campus. An outside vendor must have a sponsoring University department or club to come on campus and the sponsoring club or University department must receive some compensation.

For additional information, visit the Risk Management website and click the "PRIVATE" tab on the toolbar.