Days of Service
Campus-Wide Days of Service
- Fresh START Day of Service
Fresh START Day of Service is one of Penn State's largest days of service, designed for incoming first-year, change-of-campus, transfer students. and world campus students who are new to the University Park campus. The primary goals of Fresh START are:
- Introduce new students to the many service and civic engagement opportunities available in the State College community as well as organizations at Penn State students can become a part of
- Help students build new friendships with other students transitioning to Penn State
- Get students engaged with involvement at Penn State and in the community, all while having FUN!
Fresh START Day of Service encourages new students to “get rooted” in service opportunities in Happy Valley and within student organizations, that they can then engage with throughout their academic careers at Penn State. Our hope is that, through Fresh START, new students will develop a passion for giving back to the community and will continue to engage in service and civic engagement throughout their lives.
Fresh START 2018 will take place on August 25 2018
Typical Fresh START Schedule:
- 10:00am -11:00am ~ Check in outside of Alumni Hall in the HUB-Robeson Center
- 11:00am - 11:45am ~ Lunch & Team Building Activities
- 11:45am ~ Begin Dismissing to Community Partner Sites
- 12:30pm - 4:00pm ~ Volunteering with Community Partners
- 4:00pm - 5:00pm ~ Treats & Service Organization Fair to learn more about how to get involved
BE SURE TO WEAR CLOSED-TOE SHOES AS WELL AS CLOTHING THAT YOU ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT GETTING DIRTY! For Participating you will receive FREE Lunch, FREE Snacks, a FREE T-shirt, and a FREE Water Bottle.
Sign ups for 2018 Fresh START will be found at volunteer.psu.edu beginning in August 2018.
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service
The MLK, Jr. Day of Service takes place each year nationally on Martin Luther King Day in January. This Day of Service is hosted by the Dr. MLK, Jr. Commemoration Committee and the Office of Student Activities. It is designed to engage students in their community and to answer the Dr. King quote;
"Life's most persistent and urgent question is: What are you doing for others?" - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Summer Day of Service
Summer Day of Service occurs each summer during the month of July and brings together students who are here for the summer (many from the LEAP program for incoming students) to engage with the local community and do something meaningful over the summer break.
The 2017 Summer Day of Service took place on July 8 and volunteers started the day with a free breakfast and team building activities. They completed service projects with local agencies and on-campus organizations, and then reflected as a group over a free lunch. Some of the organizations students worked with included Hearts for the Homeless, Centre County Women's Resource Center, Wetland Education Center, Centre Furnace Mansion, and Centre County PAWS, as well as serving groups at Penn State including the Lion's Pantry, Penn State Arboretum, and the Penn State Student Farm.
Sign ups for the 2018 Summer Day of Service will be found at volunteer.psu.edu beginning in June 2018.