Public Health Ambassador Program
The Public Health Ambassador Program is a newly-created peer health initiative designed to provide students at University Park with guidance around healthy behaviors and social norms related to COVID-19.
Through the program, trained student employees are encouraged to safely engage with peers on topics such as mask-wearing, physical distancing, proper cough/hand hygiene, and to ensure that questions and expectations about health and safety at the University are addressed.
About the Program
The Public Health Ambassador Program engages trained, student employees to safely and strategically engage in dialogue with their peers about the importance of mask-wearing, physical distancing, proper cough/hand hygiene, and to ensure that questions and expectations surrounding health and safety guidelines at the University are addressed.
The program has been modeled after a number of successful peer health education programs across the nation, and has been designed specifically to educate and empower students about healthy decision-making through helpful and non-threatening exchanges.
The goals of the program are to:
- Support the COVID-19 reopening and operating plan that has been outlined by campus administration in collaboration with the Penn State Back to State initiatives
- Utilize peer-to-peer influence to engage the campus and local community in healthy behaviors including physical distancing, wearing face coverings, practicing hand and cough hygiene and using hand sanitizer
- Provide the University Park campus and the State College community with visible public health educators and representatives to assist and answer questions related to COVID-19 reopening and operation
Become a Public Health Ambassador
We are currently seeking undergraduate, graduate students, and professional students at University Park to serve as Public Health Ambassadors. Paid student ambassadors will work under the supervision of Health Promotion and Wellness, to provide customer service and support to the Penn State community, specifically regarding COVID-19 protocols.
Ambassadors will undergo specialized training and utilize peer-to-peer influence to engage the campus and local community in healthy behaviors including physical distancing, wearing face coverings, and practicing hand and cough hygiene. Ambassadors will walk in assigned areas on campus with a team member to engage in friendly, informative dialogue and distribute COVID-19 packets upon request. Compensation for Ambassadors is based on previous training and/or experience beginning at $9.50 per hour.
Requirements of the Role
- Committed to practicing healthy behavior on campus
- Serve as a friendly and encouraging role model to campus community members to follow COVID-19 guidelines
- Able to hold students, faculty, and staff accountable to current COVID-19 campus guidelines (physical distancing, face mask/covering, and hand washing/sanitizing)
- Able to support the administration by providing feedback on the climate of healthy behavior including, but not limited, most pressing concerns they are seeing/experiencing in interactions
- Able to be outdoors for 2-hour shifts and work a minimum of 10 hours per week mid August - late November
- Currently enrolled undergraduate, graduate, or professional student for the fall 2020 semester
- Required to attend a foundational training and expected to participate in follow-up educational sessions with staff oversight group as needed
- In good academic standing with a minimum cumulative 2.5 GPA or higher and have no disciplinary record
Visit Penn State WorkLion to learn more and apply.
Specific questions about the program can be directed to email@example.com.