Skip to main content

Student Affairs offices are operating remotely. Visit individual department pages for services and contact information. Visit our event calendar for virtual events. 

Get Urgent Help

How does a student make an appointment with Student Care and Advocacy? Are there walk in hours?

Case managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. There are no designated walk-in hours and an appointment is not required. However, we strongly encourage students to make an appointment because it will help us serve you better. When possible, please call 814-863-2020 or email ahead prior to coming to the office.

Does a student need to notify Student Care and Advocacy when they will miss class?

Students are encouraged to reach out to their professors independently when they expect to miss class. Each course will provide a syllabus that outlines procedures for missed classes and excused absences. Student Care and Advocacy can help notify professors when a student is unable to do so (i.e. in the event of a hospitalization) and can advocate for a student in the event of an unforeseen challenge.

Does Student Care and Advocacy have the ability to approve absences for sickness, attendance of a family member’s funeral, or for any other reason?

Student Care and Advocacy does not have the authority to approve absences. Case managers can advocate for a student and request leniency when students are faced with a legitimate unforeseen challenge. It is up to the professor to approve absences or to grant exceptions to policies outlined in the course syllabus.

Where can a student go to get a mental health assessment?

A student who may benefit from a routine mental health assessment should contact Penn State Counseling & Psychological Services or use the Community Provider Database to locate private mental health care providers in the communities surrounding Penn State campuses.

Can a concerned parent contact the Student Care and Advocacy Office to request a wellness check on a student?

If a student lives on campus, concerned parents may call Penn State Residence Life to request a wellness check. Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), information regarding a student cannot be disclosed. However, a Residence Life coordinator or area coordinator can forward a message to a student and ask that they return a phone call.  If a student lives off campus, a concerned parent can contact Off-Campus Student Support. If a parent has reason to believe their child is in danger or missing, they should call 911 or contact University Police.

Can Student Emergency Funds be used to pay for tuition?

Barnes and Nobles College Student Emergency Fund cannot be used to pay for tuition. Funds have typically been used for food, healthcare, safe housing, and natural disaster relief.

If a student requests accommodations due to a disability, should they schedule an appointment with Student Care and Advocacy?

Students needing to request reasonable accommodations for an ongoing disability should contact Student Disability Resources to schedule an intake appointment with a disability specialist. If a student is in need of temporary support or accommodations they should contact their professors directly to discuss their needs.

If a student is experiencing a roommate issue off campus can Student Care and Advocacy assist with a change in housing?

Student Care and Advocacy does not have the authority to break a formal lease agreement between tenants and landlords. If a student wishes to move on campus for any reason, he/she should work directly with the landlord, Student Legal Services or other legal resource, and Penn State Housing. If a student is having difficulty navigating these resources Student Care and Advocacy can assist in that way.

Penn State Student Affairs
Student Care & Advocacy

129 Boucke Building
University Park, PA 16802​​​​​​​