Skip to main content
Get Urgent Help


Crisis Services for Penn State Students

If you are experiencing a mental health crisis or need immediate support:

  • Call Counseling and Psychological Services
    814-863-0395 (Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.)
  • Call the 24/7 Penn State Crisis Line at 1-877-229-6400
  • Text the 24/7 Crisis Text Line: Text “LIONS” to 741741
  • Go to the Mount Nittany Medical Center Emergency Department 
    • 1800 E Park Ave; State College, PA 16803
    • Phone: 814-234-6110 
  • Call the Penn State Police at 814-863-1111 or call 911

The Penn State Crisis Line can also be used for consultation if you know someone or are with someone who is experiencing a crisis. The Penn State Crisis Line can be used at all campuses. However, the caller must be in the U.S. 

If you are experiencing a problem with Psychiatric Medications:

  • If you are having a problem with a psychiatric medication, call the prescribing provider. If your problem is urgent or involves serious side effects, call or go to the Mount Nittany Medical Center Emergency Department, 814-234-6110.

For Concerns About Others:

  • The Red Folder initiative is a guide to help faculty, staff, and others who interact with students to recognize, respond effectively to, and refer distressed students at Penn State. 
  • Learn how to help students experiencing low, moderate, and high levels of distress with The Red Folder Toolkit.