Short-term individual counseling helps students gain a deeper understanding of the sources of their difficulties. These insights are then translated into plans for action that the student can carry out in his or her daily life. For issues that would be better resolved through a longer-term individual approach, an appropriate referral to a community provider may be recommended. Read more about considerations for setting up therapy or psychiatric services in the community.
At times, problems in relationships lead to stress and disruption in students' lives. In some circumstances, couples counseling is an option to cope with these problems. Couples counseling is an option when at least one partner is a full-time student. Married, unmarried, and LGBT couples are all welcome for services.
Counseling for Eating Disorders
CAPS participates in a multidisciplinary team of physicians, dietitians, and mental health providers working together to help clients with food, weight, or body image issues. Learn more about the HEALS program.
CAPS is committed to assisting Penn State student veterans with services designed to smooth their transition to university life. In addition to individual counseling services, CAPS offers a discussion group for returning veterans that offers an opportunity to address common concerns. In addition, to the services described, we encourage you to use the following list of self-help resources specific to veterans:
- Penn State's Office of Veterans Programs (including help with the GI Bill)
- PSUVO - Penn State University Veteran's Organization
- VA Outpatient Clinic, State College Office
- Adult Learner Programs (Penn State)
- Veterans Administration Benefits & Services
- US Department of Veterans Affairs (GI Bill): Determine eligibility or resolve a pay issue
- National Center for PTSD Resources
- Free Counseling for Military Service Members and Their Families
- National Suicide Prevention Hotline - Veteran's Hotline: 1-800-273-TALK (Veterans press 1)
- Information on transitioning back home
- Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans Association