Center for Character, Conscience, & Public Purpose
The Center for Character, Conscience, and Public Purpose strives to inspire every Penn State student to live a life defined by a strong character, a thoughtful conscience, and an understanding of their responsibility for the public good. The Center offers programs and services designed to challenge students to reflect on questions of personal conscience and character and equip students with the understanding, motivation, and skills of responsible citizenship.
Programs and Initiatives
The center offers a variety of programs to help students engage in opportunities around civil discourse, leadership workshops, and the democratic process. Some of these programs include.
- Voter education, registration, and get-out-the-vote campaigns
- Faculty-led seminars on contemporary civic and ethical issues
- Public lectures with nationally/internationally renowned speakers on the interplay of personal ethics/values and civic engagement
- On-campus office hours with local government officials
- Civil discourse and ethical leadership workshops
- Project Cahir Initiative around supporting students in need
Request a Workshop
The Center offers several free in-person and virtual one-hour workshops to assist students, student leaders, and student organizations. To request a workshop or to work with the Center to develop one specific to your group’s needs, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 814-867-6402.
Current List of Workshops
- What are MY Values? (for individuals)
- What are OUR Values? (for organizations)
- Living Penn State Values
- What Does it Mean to be an American?
- How Do I Vote? Voter Registration, Voter Education, and Voting Options
- Civic Engagement and Responsible Citizenship
- Overcoming Common Ethical Pitfalls
- What is Civility?
- Civil Dialogue: Essential Listening Skills
- Facilitating Civil Dialogue: An Essential Leadership Skill
- Ethical Decision-Making
- Becoming an Ethical Leader
- Leadership and Penn State Values
Students who are interested in opportunities for involvement with the Center can apply for the PSU Votes Ambassador Program or Project Cahir. For more information on these opportunities and the application deadlines, visit the pages for those initiatives.