Fraternity & Sorority Life Purpose and Mission
Office of Fraternity & Sorority Life
The Purpose of Fraternity and Sorority Life is to:
- Strengthen the scholarship of our members
- Promote brotherhood and sisterhood
- Develop leadership
- Engage State College with community service
- Support the philanthropic efforts of our organizations, Penn State, and the community
- Build the character and integrity of our members
- Affirm personal and organizational responsibility
- Support the mission and goals of Penn State.
Mission of Greek Leaders
We, the fraternity and sorority members chosen to lead the four councils commit to the values of:
- Brotherhood and Sisterhood. We strive to accept and appreciate all our members, embracing our differences while holding our common values. We encourage and support the enhancement of our members and their dedication to our principles. Through our thoughts, words, and actions we are devoted to each other.
- Character, as it is the all-encompassing fiber that binds us as leaders within the Greek community. We pledge to be always hard working and just, and to be held accountable for our actions. Further, we will affirm and uphold the universal values of honesty, loyalty, and compassion as well as the values of our individual organizations.
- Leadership. We define leaders as members who have overcome the temptations of college life and who have proven to be the best at setting examples. Leaders demonstrate good communication skills, responsibility, and maturity. They have the ability to balance scholarship, service, and friendship in everything they do. Leaders are able to incorporate diversity, equality, and individuality in all facets of life, while still adhering to the task at hand.
- Service. We ensure that our organizations are focused and dedicated to serving their national philanthropies as well as other efforts within the community. Through these actions, we understand and respect that our service is an integral part of the community's well being.
- Responsibility, to ourselves, our organizations, and our communities. We hold ourselves and our peers accountable to the higher expectations of the Penn State Greek community.
- Scholarship. Striving to excel in our professional and educational endeavors, we strengthen our fraternal bond and maximize personal achievement.
Affirmed, August 25, 2004
Explore in this Section
Purpose and Mission