The Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan
The Penn State Student Health Insurance plan (SHIP) is a comprehensive health insurance plan offered at a competitive price with a wide network of providers across the United States. The Penn State SHIP is offered through First Risk Advisors, underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources.
The Penn State SHIP is available to:
- Undergraduate students enrolled in 6 or more credits
- Graduate and medical students enrolled in 4 or more credits
- Law students enrolled in 6 or more credits
- All international (non-U.S.) students
- Undergraduate students who are enrolled in the Intensive English Communication Program (IECP); or those who participate in a cooperative work experience program as part of their required academic program
Students who meet eligibility requirements for the Penn State SHIP must actively attend classes for at least the first 31 days after the date when coverage becomes effective.
The Penn State SHIP is not available to:
- Undergraduate students enrolled in 5 or fewer credits
- Graduate and medical students enrolled in 3 or fewer credits
- Law students enrolled in 5 or fewer credits
- Undergraduate/graduate students enrolled in independent study through correspondence classes
- Undergraduate/graduate students enrolled in home study, correspondence, and television courses
- Individuals not currently enrolled at Penn State who are auditing courses
- World Campus students
Please note: a change in student registration status that no longer meets the criteria listed above may result in termination of student health insurance benefits. Enrollment will be audited to ensure that eligibility is met.
Please visit our Eligible Dependent page for more information on dependent coverage.
- How to Enroll
Eligible students can enroll for health care coverage with the Penn State SHIP by logging on to LionPATH and selecting "Health Insurance," "Enroll," and following the additional steps prompted.
- Coverage Highlights and Comparison
Plan Penn State SHIP (Undergraduate) HealthCare.gov Platinum Premium-undergraduate $2,619
$6,360 - $8,520
($530 - $710/month)
Deductible-individual $250 (for services outside of University Health Services) $250 Out-of-Pocket Max, in-network individual $1,300 (for services outside of University Health Services) $1,500 PCP Office Visit Copays $10/visit (waived at University Health Services) $20/visit Prescription, in-network Emergency Room Visit
- 2019-2020 SHIP Coverage Rates