Requirements for International Students
International students and any accompanying dependents are required to purchase the Penn State Student Health Insurance plan (SHIP) or submit proof of health insurance coverage that meets the full set of requirements below.
International Student and Dependent Health Insurance Requirements
- U.S. carrier or entity is approved to do business in the U.S. and compliant with all guidelines of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA)
- Carrier has a filed and approved health insurance policy with the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Department of Insurance or has a sponsored insurance plan that meets the waiver standards and is approved by the Student Health Insurance Office, together with a letter of financial guarantee directly from the plan sponsor
- Coverage for 100% of preventive and contraceptive care (preventive examinations, immunizations and screening tests, as required by the PPACA and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania for student health insurance plans)
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions with no waiting period
- Deductible no greater than $500;
- Coverage for all essential benefits for accident and sickness, including prescription drug coverage, without limitation
- Maternity Benefits (or Pregnancy) covered as any other illness or injury;
- Inpatient and outpatient mental health/substance abuse as any other condition
- No exclusions for injury or illness as a result of alcohol, drugs or attempted suicide
- Worldwide coverage
- $3,000 In-Network out-of-pocket maximum
- $15,000/$30,000 Out-of-Network out-of-pocket maximum
- OR U.S. employer-sponsored health insurance in place of standards 1-12;
- And Medical evacuation ($100,000/Repatriation ($50,000) minimum limits.
Please Note: new waiver requirements for 2017-18 require all plans to be filed with the Pennsylvania Department of Insurance, or be approved by the Penn State Student Health Insurance Office and accompanied by a letter of financial guarantee for services not covered from the plan sponsor. This will eliminate short-term International Standards Organization (ISO) plans. In addition, Penn State students will no longer be eligible to purchase health insurance plans through Student Medicover, as part of a new agreement with United Healthcare Student Resources.
Provide proof of alternate health insurance
If you currently have health insurance that meets all of the requirements, you may waive the Penn State SHIP for yourself and your dependents.
For yourself: Log on to LionPATH. Select "Health Insurance," "Waive" and follow the prompts. You will need a copy of your current health insurance ID card and your health insurance brochure or plan description before you start the waiver. Your online application will be reviewed and you will receive an e-mail approving or denying your application from First Student.
For dependents: Please note that international dependent waivers must be completed through the Student Health Insurance office. Students needed to come in to Student Health Insurance office to pick up the Dependent Waiver Application Form.