The HUB-Robeson Center and Student Legal Services offer free limited notary services to Penn State students, faculty, and staff. APPOINTMENTS ARE REQUIRED.
Appointments: Monday-Friday, 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
Off-Campus Student Support
204 E. Calder Way, Suite 200
Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m.
Appointments: 814-865-2346 or OffCampus@psu.edu
Information about Notary Services
You should complete any required information (except signature) on the document prior to the visit to the notary. Enter N/A where not applicable.
- DO NOT sign nor date the document prior to the visit to the Notary. This is very important! The notary MUST witness your signature on the document.
- The notary is not responsible for the legality or accuracy of the document’s content and cannot offer legal advice.
- Notaries may decline to complete any transaction that falls outside the scope of their authority, training, and/or comfort level.
What to Bring
Please be prepared to show current photo identification. Examples of acceptable forms of identification include:
- Driver’s license from the United States
- State-issued identification card
- U.S. Passport
- Passport issued by a foreign government (must be stamped by the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services)
- U.S. military identification card with the required photo, personal description, signature, and identification number (Note: Some military identification cards do not contain all the required information.)
Documents We Cannot Notarize
Please understand that the notaries may not be able to notarize your document(s) due to various reasons, restrictions, limitations, or unavailability; the decision to notarize a document is solely at the discretion of the notary and the notary reserves the right to refuse to notarize a document for any reason. Some examples of documents that cannot be notarized by these offices are as follows:
- Vehicle titles – these documents may be presented to AAA or Tri-County Tag in State College.
- Real estate closing, mortgage, or refinancing documents – due to the volume and time associated with processing these documents.
- The HUB notary service is unable to notarize wills. Student Legal Services may notarize wills on a case-by-case basis.
- Penn State diplomas or transcripts – certified copies of these documents must be requested through the Registrar’s office.
- Other diplomas or transcripts - certified copies of these documents can be requested from the issuing institution.
- I-9 or other citizenship or immigration documents.
- I-20--copies can be obtained at the Global Programs office.
- International documents will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
- Documents that require preparation – the notary will not draft documents or provide documents to be notarized. Students may contact Student Legal Services to inquire whether an attorney can assist with document preparation.
- Vital documents such as birth certificates, death certificates, marriage certificates, and adoption certificates. Official copies of these documents can be obtained from the vital records office from the county where they were filed.