Pharmacy Services for Students
To utilize curbside pickup, please follow the steps below:
- The designated pharmacy spots in the Eisenhower parking deck will have a dedicated phone number posted for patients to call when in the garage waiting.
- A customer service representative will then deliver the prescription to the vehicle.
- All prescription costs/or copays will be placed on accounts and the patient will receive bills in the mail to avoid the exchange of money or credit cards.
For graduate students that receive prescriptions via campus mail, and may be working remotely at home, should call the UHS Pharmacy at 814-865-9321 to change their mailing address to their home address. Please note that Schedule II narcotics cannot be mailed.
For those who are not living in the area around State College, the UHS Pharmacy is providing mail order service, but can only mail to Pennsylvania and Florida. There is a $3 charge for postage.
We encourage patients to refill maintenance medications with a 90-day supply or up to the plan maximum. The curbside service will be offered Monday through Friday from 8 AM to 5 PM until further notice. For questions, please call the UHS Pharmacy at 814-865-9321.
Filling a New Prescription
The Pharmacy will fill written, original prescriptions from a University Health Services clinician or outside health care provider. You may bring your prescription to the pharmacy service window, have your clinician fax it to the pharmacy at 814-863-5371, or mail it to:
202 Student Health Center
University Park, PA 16802
We cannot accept prescriptions:
- By phone from your clinician
- By transfer from other pharmacies
Refilling a Prescription
Need a prescription refilled? If you already have a prescription on file at the University Health Services Pharmacy, we offer several convenient ways to request refills.
- Refills by Phone: You can phone in your refill request 24/7 through our automated refill system. Just call 814-865-9321 and press "3." Be sure to have your prescription refill number handy - it is located on the left corner of the label.
- Refills Online: You can submit a prescription refill request online 24/7.
- Mobile App: Download the mobileRX app from the App Store or Google Play and search for UHS Pharmacy using telephone number 814-865-9321
Free Sharps Containers
Penn State students at the University Park campus who give themselves injections for diabetes and/or other medical conditions can get free sharps containers from the University Health Services Pharmacy. The red containers are used for the proper disposal of syringes in order to prevent unintentional needle sticks. Placing syringes in a sharps container protects anyone who might come in contact with improperly disposed of syringes in the trash including students, roommates, friends, and Penn State employees who empty the trash. The containers should always be used as directed and never overfilled.
Students who use syringes for medical purposes may pick up two free sharps containers from the Pharmacy. When one of the containers is filled to the appropriate level, bring it back to the Pharmacy. Pharmacy staff will provide you with another empty container, and will properly handle the disposal of the full container.
The University Health Services Pharmacy is able to direct bill some major third-party insurance carriers for prescription services.
You are responsible for paying the co-pay at the time of service. The Pharmacy will submit an electronic claim to your insurance company on your behalf. Please be sure to have your insurance card available at the time of service.
If you are uninsured or do not have your insurance card with you, you may add your prescription service fees to your student account, or pay by cash, check, MasterCard, or Visa. Please note that in some instances you may be eligible to submit a pharmacy receipt to your insurance company for reimbursement; however, we cannot bill your insurance company retroactively so it is very important that you bring your prescription card with you to each pharmacy visit.
Following is a list of insurance carriers most commonly accepted by the University Health Services Pharmacy. To verify your coverage, please contact your insurance company.
- Anthem Rx
- Express Scripts
- Future Scripts
- Independence Blue Cross
- United Health Care
- and more