Appointments for Travel
University Health Services Travel Clinic offers appointments to members of the Penn State community who are planning international travel. Travel appointments include education regarding health and safety as well as recommended vaccines for the intended travel destination(s). Please contact the travel receptionist at 814-863-0774 for questions regarding the eligibility of these services.
Scheduling Your Appointment
Prior to your appointment, you must complete and submit the Pre-Travel Health Consultation and History Form. Please fill out the form in its entirety and drop it off at the information desk in the Student Health Center or fax it to 814-867-2584 (Attention: Travel Clinic). Please note your travel appointment will be scheduled by the travel receptionist upon receipt of the Pre-Travel Health Consultation and History Form.
Preparing for Your Appointment
On the day of your visit, please be prepared to share the following:
Note: if you do not have this information at the time of your appointment, you may be asked to reschedule:
- A list of current medications and dosages, medical conditions, allergies, and recent hospitalizations and/or surgeries.
- Flight information, including stops for refueling, and transit/border crossings to other countries; these will be important to help determine the need for Yellow Fever and/or other vaccines.
- Immunization records (infant/preschool, elementary school, high school, college entrance, emergency department visits, occupational, seasonal, military, or previous travel records) or vaccine titer blood tests. If you have received a previous International Certificate of Vaccine record, please bring this with you.
- Be aware that recent vaccines and certain medications may affect your plan of care at your travel visit.
Special Considerations for Travel Appointments
- We encourage you to have something to eat and drink prior to your appointment.
- We ask that you promptly notify the University Health Services Travel Clinic of any changes or additions to your itinerary or medication list. Fax changes to 814-867-2584, Attention: Travel Clinic, or call University Health Services at 814-863-0774 and ask to speak with the travel receptionist.
- It is important that you arrive at your appointment on time and check in at the kiosk and register with the receptionist. Your visit will last approximately one hour. There is a fifteen minute waiting period after most vaccinations.
The Travel Clinic uses TRAVAX, a computer software program, which is updated weekly with information from the CDC, ACIP, AAP, and WHO, as well as ongoing global surveillance and published literature.
There is a $70.00 charge for Travel Clinic consultations. Additional fees for immunizations and medications may also apply. The $70.00 visit fee will be an out-of-pocket charge. Only immunizations will be submitted to insurance, but we cannot guarantee these will be covered. In fact, most insurance carriers or prescription plans DO NOT pay for services related to Travel Clinic visits. Please consult your insurance carrier for coverage before the appointment. Insurance information will be collected at the time of check-in if you would like University Health Services to submit your immunizations for payment consideration. Students, faculty, and staff should provide an account number if your department is paying for your Travel Clinic fees.
If you are no longer able to attend a previously scheduled travel appointment, be sure to cancel at least 24 hours in advance to avoid a no-show fee.
Please review the websites below to become familiar with your destination, traveler's health topics, and additional information for your return home.
- Center for Disease Control (CDC)
- The CDC’s Health Information for International Travel ("Yellow Book"). Alternatively, you can access the CDC Yellow Book by downloading the app through the iTunes Store or Google Play.
- Shoreland travel services
- U.S Department of State
- Traveler's Diarrhea
- Yellow Fever Vaccination
- Vaccine Information Statements
- Other Travel Medical Insurance Options