Join the Welcome Crew
Be a Part of Penn State's Welcome Crew
Do you have at least one semester at Penn State under your belt? Are you interested in helping new students transition to Penn State? Join our Welcome Crew, share what you've learned about Penn State, and help new students and families get acclimated.
We are looking for seasoned student volunteers to help our new incoming students during Arrival and Welcome Week. You will have the opportunity to assist students who are new to Penn State and/or University Park move in to the residence halls and experience a successful first few days of college.
Welcome Crew volunteers play an integral role in welcoming a diverse population of new students including: first-year, change of assignment, and transfer students and their families to the Penn State University Park campus.
Need more reasons to volunteer?
- Gain leadership skills
- Learn more about campus resources and services
- Work with highly motivated student staff of diverse backgrounds
- Meet new students and make new friends
- Come back to campus early
- Develop an even greater sense of Penn State Pride
- Undergraduate student at Penn State University Park in good academic standing
- In good conduct standing with the University
- Minimum 2nd semester standing (not including the Summer 2018 semester)
What does a Welcome Crew member do?
Penn State Welcome Crew volunteers are undergraduate student leaders who provide positive peer assistance for new Penn State University Park students during new students residence hall move in.
We are looking for friendly people with some hustle, who are not afraid of staying busy and helping with a variety of tasks. Welcome Crew volunteers are expected to help students and their families get items onto carts and into residence hall rooms, and then return to the parking area to help the next family. Volunteers are not expected to arrange rooms; assemble lofts; or set up electronic equipment, furniture, or carpeting.
Welcome Crew Expectations
- Assist new students and their families with unloading their vehicles and getting their belongings to their rooms.
- Assist with traffic control, running the elevators in selected buildings, and other miscellaneous duties as required.
- Be friendly, yet efficient.
- Answer the questions of new students and/or family members honestly and appropriately, or refer students to an appropriate resource.
- Wear the t-shirt provided by Residence Life to identify yourself as a Penn State Welcome Crew member.
- Welcome new students and their families, and positively represent Penn State.
- Carry students’ items, but not anything heavy or valuable (computers, televisions).
- Encourage students to attend University-sponsored Welcome Week Events such as Convocation, Late Night Penn State, Be a Part from the Start, etc.
- Attend one meeting prior to arrival.
- Be available on Friday and Saturday of arrival weekend.
Student Organizations Affiliations
While political, religious, social, service, and fraternal organizations are encouraged to volunteer for the Penn State Welcome Crew, we expect that these affiliations will only be discussed in the following manner while performing the duties of the position:
- Wearing a button identifying their group affiliation
- Providing brief information about meeting times, website, or the organization's purpose verbally or in writing, in response to questions about the group by the student or his/her family.
We will not be able to provide housing for Welcome Crew volunteers that are living off campus. Because of our full occupancy, Residence Life will not be able to provide temporary housing for Welcome Crew Volunteers.