CAPS Chat provides informal, drop-in consultation for students with counselors from Penn State Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS). Sessions are free and no appointment is necessary. Students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis and meetings are no longer than 30 minutes.
Concerns may include:
- Stress or Anxiety
- Adjusting to college life
- Family problems
- Relationship issues
- Roommate difficulties
- Academic pressures
CAPS Chat IS for...
- Discussing specific concerns in a one-on-one environment
- Learning more about what counseling might be like
- Understanding how to help a friend
- Getting mental health questions answered
CAPS Chat IS NOT for...
- Formal therapy or counseling
- Crisis services
- Severe or longstanding concerns
South Halls (Redifer) | Tuesdays 2-4 p.m.
**Stay tuned for Fall 2019 hours & locations**
Frequently Asked Questions
- Are CAPS Chat meetings private?
While CAPS Chat is not formal counseling, information discussed is confidential. If you have questions about this, ask a CAPS Chat counselor.
- I am on the CAPS waiting list. Can I come to CAPS Chat while I wait?
If you feel you need to be seen sooner for your concern because problems have intensified, it is best to contact CAPS at 814-863-0395. If you feel your concern has improved and feel an informal consultation meeting would meet your needs, CAPS Chat might be a good option for you. After meeting, if you would like to be removed from the wait list, let the CAPS counselor know.
- I am currently seeing a therapist. Can I come to CAPS Chat?
Discussing concerns with your current therapist is strongly recommended. If your next appointment is not soon enough, it is best to contact your counselor directly to see if he or she can see you sooner.
- What if I cannot attend CAPS Chat hours?
Call CAPS at 814-863-0395. They can help answer your questions or find resources that may help meet your needs.
- What should I do in an emergency?
If you or someone you know is experiencing a crisis, immediately contact the Penn State Crisis Line at 1-877-229-6400 or call 911.