Smoking Cessation Resources
The Freedom From Smoking® Program
The Freedom From Smoking® Program is a free, eight-week program to help students quit smoking and remain smoke-free. The program, offered by Health Promotion and Wellness, is facilitated by a health educator who has been trained by the American Lung Association.
Each week, a new module helps students address a different aspect of the quitting process, including learning stress management techniques, what to do when a craving strikes, controlling your weight while quitting, and much more. Students are also encouraged to build a support system throughout the program to help guide their journey to becoming smoke-free.
The Freedom From Smoking® Program is free to all Penn State students.
Begin Your Journey
For additional information, or to schedule your first appointment, contact Health Promotion and Wellness at 814-863-0461, or schedule online through myUHS.
- Free Freedom From Smoking® Plus Membership
Freedom From Smoking® Plus is a highly interactive 12-month online behavioral change program that includes both an online cessation program to assist an individual in a step-by-step quitting process at their own pace. The Freedom From Smoking® Plus program works on desktops, laptops, tablets and smartphones and includes telephone, chat and email support from the American Lung Association’s trained tobacco treatment counselors.
Free Freedom From Smoking® Plus Membership Voucher Valued at $99.95
To register, visit bit.ly/FFSPlus. For more information, contact the Lung HelpLine at 1-800-LUNGUSA and use the Promo Code: PA DOH Grant.
This project is funded by a grant from the Pennsylvania Department of Health.
Additional Smoking Cessation Resources at Penn State
University Health Services offers individual consultation to students who wish to quit smoking. Consultations are facilitated by a health care provider during a regular medical exam.
- During your appointment, you will be encouraged to set a quit date in writing.
- If the clinician believes additional assistance is necessary, he or she may suggest various cessation products available through the University Health Services pharmacy.
- There is a basic exam fee for the appointment, as well as for cessation products. Please inquire with University Health Services for more information.
- Schedule an appointment
National Smoking Cessation Resources
- PA Free Quit Line: 1-800-LUNG-USA
- National Cancer Institute's Quit Line: 1-877-44U-QUIT, or LiveHelp instant message service
- Clinical Outcomes Group (Free individualized phone and email service) 1-800-264-1290
- Quit Start App - https://smokefree.gov/apps-quitstart
- Smokefree TXT - https://smokefree.gov/smokefreetxt
- Freedom From Smoking - https://www.lung.org/stop-smoking/join-freedom-from-smoking