Billing for Medical Services
Cost of Services
Office visit charges for new patients can run from $83 to $402 depending on the level of care needed at the time of visit. Office visit charges for established patients can run from $38 to $279. Additional charges apply for lab, X-Ray, physical therapy, and pharmacy. Check with the billing staff for the charges for specific services.
University Health Services will submit patients' bills to their insurance companies. If we are in-network with your plan, we will accept what your insurance company pays and only charge you for co-pays, co-insurance, and deductibles. If your insurance company does not cover a service, you may be liable for that portion of the bill also. If we are out-of-network with your insurance company you may be responsible for the entire amount of the bill.
Your insurance provider may ask for the following information: Tax ID #246000376 or NPI# 1316063126. UHS’ Address: 308 Student Health Center; University Park, PA 16802
Before Your Visit
Students are encouraged to provide University Health Services with their health insurance information prior to their visit. You can submit your information in one of the following ways.
- Through myUHS secure portal. (Current students only).
- Bring your health insurance card to the Information Desk in the Student Health Center during business hours.
- What do I do if I am uninsured?
Students are eligible to purchase the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). All undergraduate students taking three or more credits or graduate students taking one or more credits are eligible to purchase the plan. The plan is offered through First Student College Student Health Insurance, underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources.
Penn State World Campus students are not eligible for the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan.
- What do I do if my insurance is not accepted by University Health Services
If your insurance is not accepted at University Health Services, out of network benefits, if you have them, will apply.
If your insurance does not cover you in the area where your campus is located, you may consider purchasing the Penn State Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP). All undergraduate students taking three or more credits or graduate students taking one or more credits are eligible to purchase the plan. The plan is offered through First Student College Student Health Insurance, underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources.
- What do I do if I have an HMO plan?
If you belong to an HMO plan, call your insurance company, even if it is one of the companies we accept, to verify where you can receive treatment. Some HMO plans will issue guest memberships.
Tell the insurance company that you are a student at Penn State University Park campus and ask whether you will need:
- A guest pass, or
A change of the designated primary care provider (PCP)
Ask whether you will need a referral or prior authorization in order to be seen at University Health Services.
Your insurance provider may ask for the following information: Tax ID #246000376 or NPI# 1316063126. Address: 308 Student Health Center; University Park, PA 16802.
- What insurance plans are accepted at University Health Services?
University Health Services is currently a participating provider with the following insurance companies. Please check with your insurance company to verify coverage for services.
- Penn State Student Health Insurance, underwritten by United Healthcare Student Resources
- Highmark Blue Shield
- Cigna (with the exception of physical therapy)
- Amerihealth Caritas Pennsylvania
- Amerihealth Caritas Northeast
- UnitedHealthcare (listed in their provider directory as The Pennsylvania State University)
- PA Medical Assistance (fee for service plan) and United Health Care Community Plan
- Tricare: University Health Services is not a participating provider with Tricare but will submit bills directly to Tricare and accept the reimbursement amount set by federal regulation
- Blue Cross: Please contact your plan for benefit coverage.
- The University Ambulance Service participates only with Medicare and Pennsylvania Medical Assistance (Medicaid). The ambulance service is out of network for all commercial insurance plans; patients are responsible for the charges in full and your insurance company may reimburse some or all of the charges based on your plan’s benefits.
- What if I have medical assistance?
University Health Services is working to obtain contracts for Medical Assistance both in-state and out-of-state. Currently, we accept the in-network Pennsylvania fee-for-service plan, which generally offers coverage for 30 days. If you have any other Medical Assistance plan, it is best to contact your plan and find a participating provider in the area. If you choose to be seen at University Health Services, you will need to obtain authorization from your insurance plan to be seen. If you do not obtain authorization, you may be responsible for your charges for the visit.
- How do I pay my bill?
Most claims will be sent to your insurance company. If you did not give us your insurance information at your first visit, you have 24 hours to get this information to University Health Services. Once 24 hours have passed, the charges will be posted to your Bursar account. You can print the bill from myUHS and submit the charges to your insurance company. You are responsible for any charges that your insurance company does not cover.
If you do not want charges sent to your insurance company, notify the receptionist and arrange to pay by cash, check, or credit card (Discover, Visa, MasterCard, or American Express). You can also charge your bill to your Bursar account.
- How can I get a copy of my bill?
Student’s bills are available through myUHS. You will be asked to provide your Penn State WebAccess user ID in order to enter our secure website. Select “Billing Statements.” Select visit date. Click “Print Statement” on the upper right of the screen. Print a copy of your bill. Pharmacy and ambulance bills are not available online.
Charges that have been uploaded to your student Bursar account will appear in LionPATH. Payment is made to the Bursar either through LionPATH or at the Bursar’s Office in 103 Shields Building.