Starting an Organization
Starting a New Student Organization
If you are unable to find a student organization to join you are more than welcome to start one of your own! Come to the Office of Student Activities and one our staff members can assist you with the process. Becoming a recognized student organization comes with many rights and privileges including but not limited to:
- Free web space
- Use of University facility space
- Space at the Involvement Fair
- Rights to request use of the student fee
The recognition of newly forming organizations will still occur during the Fall 2020 semester. No changes will be made to the New Student Organization process during this time. If you have additional questions about the New Student Organization Process, you may also email StudentOrg@psu.edu.
Due to limited staff in the office, we are offering Virtual Office Hours. Dates/Times/Zoom links can be found below.
The recognition process includes filling out the New Organization Recognition process through OrgCentral. To start this process, log in to OrgCentral . Navigate to the tab that says “Organizations” at the top. On the left, click “Register an Organization”. Scroll down below “Re-Register Existing” and under “Register New”, click “Register a New Organization”. If you do not see "Register a New Organization", the recognition process is not open. Please see the timeline below for more information. The following requirements are needed to start a New Student Organization and will be submitted through the online process:
- Intent to Organize form
- The Intent to Organize is the first step in the process and can be completed by following the instructions above. After the Intent to Organize has been submitted, the Office of Student Activities will review it for approval. Once approved, you will be moved to Step 2, which will allow you to submit the rest of the needed items below.
- NOTE: Since the Intent to Organize must be approved before moving the newly forming organization to the next step, they will not be accepted after September 18, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
- Officer and Membership List (at least 10 University Park Students
- Note: Organizations must have at least a President and Treasurer. The President and Treasurer must be two different students.
- Advisor Approval form
- Memberships list (at least 10 University Park students)
- Attendance at New Student Organization Orientation
Once you submit your request for registration and attend an orientation, the Office of Student Activities will review the request. Incomplete submissions will not be processed and therefore, not recognized in the timeline stated above.
If your new organization is categorized as a Physical Activity or Dance Organization, there is additional paperwork required, which can be found on the Maintaining Recognition website.
New Student Organization Process Timeline
New groups are able to submit recognition requests for the Fall 2020 semester in accordance with the timeline below. Recognition requests will not be processed until after September 20, 2020. Once the timeline for Fall 2020 has past, students will have the opportunity to complete the process beginning in the Spring 2021 semester.
- August 24 – September 20, 2020:
- New groups can submit their recognition requests through OrgCentral (link will be live only during the prescribed time frame)
- New Student Organization Orientation held weekly (see schedule below)
- NOTE: Since the Intent to Organize must be approved before moving the newly forming organization to the next step, they will not be accepted after September 18 at 4:00 p.m.
If a group attended a New Student Organization Orientation in Spring 2020, that will fulfill the New Student Organization Orientation requirement for any Fall 2020 recognition requests.
New Student Organization Orientations
Fall 2020 Meeting Dates and Times
During this time of hybrid learning, the Office of Student Activities will be offering these trainings via Zoom.
Each session will last one hour. New Student Organization Orientation may be completed before or after the required paperwork listed above is turned in. Please note that the last New Student Organization Orientation happens after the paperwork deadline.
Should you have any initial questions please feel free to contact us.
Groups that are going through the New Student Organization Orientation Process do not need to attend the Mandatory Officer Trainings but should attend a New Student Organization Orientation
Issues joining via the Zoom Link? You must authenticate through your Penn State account to join. If you are logged in without your Penn State email (such as a Gmail), it will not allow you into the session. Please log out of Zoom and sign back in using one of the steps below: There are two ways to authenticate in:
- Visit psu.zoom.us and log in. After logging in, navigate to where the meeting zoom link is (here in this event) and click on it/copy and paste it to open the link in the browser in which you just logged in to Zoom
- When clicking on/copy and pasting the meeting link, you may be taken to a Zoom log in page. Rather than type in your Penn State email and password, click "SSO" (Single Sign-On). It will ask for the domain you are trying to reach and you should type in "PSU" and then "continue". That will prompt you to go through their Penn State credentials to log on.
|Tuesday, August 25||5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.||
Meeting ID: 954 8073 5408
|Thursday, September 3||9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m.||
Meeting ID: 973 5258 5809
|Wednesday, September 9||2:30 p.m. - 3:30 p.m.||
Meeting ID: 986 4480 5693
|Monday, September 14||5:30 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.||
Meeting ID: 995 3853 7771
|Tuesday, September 22||12:30 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.||
Meeting ID: 973 9056 8250