Family Ambassador Program
What is a Family Ambassador?
Family Ambassadors are undergraduate student volunteers at the University Park campus who serve as student liaisons between the Parents Program office and Penn State parents and families at large, assist in routine office tasks, and assist with key parent and family programming throughout the year.
Meet the Family Ambassadors
Campus Involvement: Family Ambassador, Intramural Volleyball, Former PSU Athletics Marketing Intern
“My family has made my Penn State experience so special. My parents have enriched it by staying involved with Penn State. They frequently send me interesting articles to keep me informed and send me opportunities on campus that I didn’t find on my own. They have been a great help and resource for me these past two years.”
Campus Involvement: Freshman Committee for THON, Family Ambassador
“I wanted to join the Parents Program because as a freshman this year, it was difficult to become acclimated to the school, so I want to help out in making sure all families have the opportunity to get involved with the school as much as they would like!”
Campus Involvement: Associate board (Liaison) for International Student’s Council Penn State; Programming board Blue and White Society; FreshstartPSU Liaison; Engineering Undergraduate Council.
“Today it gives me an immense pleasure to step back in front of people and thank my family to support me to pursue my higher education here at Penn state. Family for me always comes first as they never fail to keep me on my track to achieve success by giving me constant motivation and support. Today I stand out as a more confident and holistically developed individual in front of people around me as Penn state has given me so much. From here I want to begin a journey where I can achieve even more heights throughout my life.”
Campus Involvement: Vice President of my fraternity, Active member of Penn State Investment Association, love doing anything that keeps me active like surfing, snowboarding going to the gym
“I love working with people of all different backgrounds and upbringings. I come from a family of four consisting of my dad, mom and younger brother. My family is one of the most important things in my life and I understand the massive changes that comes along with sending a member to college. I would not be in the position I am today without my family, so I am extremely excited to be able to help other families adjust to their new lives.”
Campus Involvement: Lion Ambassadors; Liberal Arts Ambassadors; CHAARG; Schreyer Honors College Student Council; Schreyer for Women; Serve State; Centre County Centre PACT
“I have chosen to serve as a Family Ambassador within the Parents Program to allow me to develop new relationships with students, administration, and parents, creating connections that enable an exchange of knowledge and endless opportunities. “
Campus Involvement: Anatomy and Physiology Teaching Assistant, Member of the Student Nurses Association of Penn State (SNAPS), Member of the College of Nursing Green Team, Member of Eclipse Thon Organization.
“I love Penn State and consider it my home! My dad went here and it brings me so much joy to see his pride in being a PSU alum and dad. I hope through speaking to families I can share this pride and relay the importance of staying involved with their child’s life at Penn State.”
Campus Involvement: Society of Women Engineers (SWE), the Women in Engineering Program (WEP), the Undergraduate Research Society (URS), and the Penn State Thespian Society
“I have chosen to be a Family Ambassador so I can reach out to other families that might have questions about Penn State and so I can further my leadership skills within the Penn State community. I'm excited to engage with a team while communicating my experiences to others seeking perspective from Penn State.”
Campus Involvement: Society of Women Engineers, Sailplane, Undergraduate Researcher, Global Engineering Fellow
"Joining the Family Ambassadors has given me a very permanent place at Penn State. The community is welcoming, rewarding, and thrives off of the spirit of our amazing university. Through my time in the program I have not only been able to connect and network with new people, but I have also been able to strengthen my leadership and development skills in ways I would never be able to do in the classroom. We, as a program, fully embody the words 'We Are' and strive to help current and potential families live up to it as well."
Responsibilities of Family Ambassadors include:
- Serve as a team member and representative of the Parents Program and Penn State
- Work collaboratively alongside the Parents Council and Parent Ambassadors
- Participate in Parents Program annual events, including but not limited to Parents and Families Weekend and New Student Arrival
- Serve as a knowledgeable resource to parents and families about Penn State using relevant personal experiences in a professional manner
- Work collaboratively within a team of fellow student leaders
- Passion for Penn State
- Positive role model
- Warm, supportive, and enthusiastic attitude
- Ability to work comfortably with diverse populations
- Knowledge of the University’s structures, supports, and resources
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn
- Term: January – November
- Attendance at biweekly meetings during the spring and fall semesters
- Requirement of 4 volunteer hours per month
- Additional requirement of 6-10+ volunteer hours during Parents and Families Weekend
- Preference is that ambassadors will be in State College for the summer but is not necessary to apply or be accepted
- Great resume builder!
- Letters of recommendation
- Networking opportunities with other student leaders, Penn State Student Affairs staff, Parent Council members, and Parent Ambassadors
- Personal and professional development
- Gain teamwork and communication skills
- Meal cards during events and other meals throughout the year
- Applications will be open Fall 2021