Lodging & Transportation
Getting to/from Penn State
Are you trying to assist your student in making travel plans for break? Are you interested in your student’s local transportation options? Familiarize yourself with transportation, travel, and lodging in and around State College.
PLEASE NOTE: The Parents Program provides the following information to assist families. Although we strive to provide useful and accurate information, we cannot guarantee the quality of services provided, pricing, availability, or the accuracy of information provided on websites to which we refer.
University Park and the surrounding areas are popular places to visit and stay, especially on event weekends. Reserve accommodations early, especially for busy weekends including move-in and move-out, football games, Parents & Families Weekend, and Commencement.
Hotels and bed & breakfast accommodations
- Penn State operates two convenient full-service hotels:
- Central Pennsylvania Convention & Visitors Bureau
- Bellefonte Lodging (30 minutes)
- Altoona Lodging (45 minutes)
There are also several non-traditional options in the area including Airbnb, StateCations, and Rent Like a Champion that offer private homes for rent. Please visit the Central Pennsylvania Convention & Visitors Bureau Lodges & Vacation Rental page for more information.
- Fullington Trailways (814) 238-1100
- Greyhound (814) 238-7971
- Megabus 1-877-462-6342 or e-mail: Inquiries@megabus.com
- Most services pick up and drop off on or close to campus, and operate at reasonable prices.
- Charter Buses to New England - arranged by the New England Alumni Chapters
PLEASE NOTE: Bus routes are being updated regularly, with trips being added and removed. The individual websites provide the most up-to-date information.
Amtrak Train Stations
PLEASE NOTE: Trains are not available directly to or from State College, but Greyhound bus service is available to and from all three stations.
- University Park Airport (local)
- Williamsport Regional Airport (1 hour)
- Harrisburg Airport (1.5 hours)
- Elmira Corning Regional Airport (2.5 hours)
- Lehigh Valley International Airport (2.5 hours)
- Pittsburgh International Airport (3.5 hours)
- Philadelphia International Airport (3.5 hours)
- Baltimore/Washington International Airport (3.5 hours)
- Dulles International Airport, Washington, D.C. (4 hours)
- Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, Washington, D.C. (4 hours)