Skip to main content
Get Urgent Help


Consultation with Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff is available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. - 5 p.m. by phone or appointment. Consultations are available for students, family members, faculty, staff, or any concerned person who wishes to talk with a CAPS professional about a student suffering from emotional stress, counseling referrals, or other issues.

If a consultation is needed outside of CAPS normal business hours, please contact the Penn State Crisis Line at 1-877-229-6400.

Information For Faculty & Staff

Advice on Assisting Students

  • Contact CAPS for a consultation
  • Visit our Mental Health Crisis Intervention page or contact the Penn State Crisis Line at 1-877-229-6400
  • Use our  Community Provider Locator database to locate private mental health care providers in Penn State communities. 

Information for Parents and Families

Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) provides a range of mental health services. The first step typically begins with a phone screening appointment. For more information about what your student can expect at CAPS, we encourage you to explore our website.

Keep in mind, we can talk with you about your concern for your student. However, we are only be able to share specific information about your student's treatment if they have signed a written release allowing us to do so.

What to do if you are concerned about your student

Students are adults and should schedule their own appointments. However, a CAPS counselor can help you figure out how to talk with your student about your concerns and, when indicated, encourage scheduling an appointment at CAPS.

If you are concerned about a mental health emergency after CAPS business hours, you or your student can contact the Penn State Crisis Line at 1-877-229-6400 or visit the Emergency Department at Mount Nittany Medical Center.

If you have a family emergency or are unable to reach your student and are concerned for their safety, you can contact the Office of Residence Life at 814-863-1710, your student's Resident Assistant (who lives in the Residence Hall) or Student Care and Advocacy at 814- 863-1260 or 814-863-2020.

Referrals to community providers

CAPS provides short-term individual services only. We often refer students with ongoing or chronic conditions to local providers. Help your student by sharing insurance coverage details or helping them to access that information.

If you would like to find a private practitioner in the local community, please visit our Community Provider Locator