Parent & Family Checklist
Connect with Penn State
- Connect with the Parent & Family Experience to receive emails
- Consider volunteering for the Parents Program
- Connect with Penn State and the Parents Program on Facebook and Twitter
- Follow PSUAlert on Twitter
- Visit global.psu.edu for information about the international student experience
- Visit the Quick Links page to connect to additional campus resources
- All incoming students must submit immunization records prior to arrival on campus. Visit the immunization website for more information
- Health insurance is mandatory for all international students in F-1 and J-1 status and their accompanying dependents - learn more here
- Remind your student to bring information about their current and maintenance prescription medications
- Remind your student to submit their health insurance information in LionPATH
Tuition & Money Matters
- Remind your student to check their email account frequently
- Ask your student if they received the email with the tuition bill
- Remind your student to consent to do business electronically and to sign the Financial Responsibility Agreement (FRA) in LionPATH prior to enrolling for classes
- Discuss getting online access with your student, as they must delegate access in order for parents to view student information
- If you are paying tuition, ask your student to add you as an "authorized payer" on their account
- Plan for future semesters at tuition.psu.edu
- Add funds to student's LionCash+ account: idonline.psu.edu
Topics to Discuss with Your Student
- Remind your student to complete online modules
- Encourage your student to participate in Welcome Week activities: welcomeweek.psu.edu
- Discuss campus safety and decisions regarding alcohol and drug use
- Discuss time management, study skills, and mutual expectations for staying in touch
- Talk about how your student will finance their education
- Explore programs and services available to assist your student
- Provide reminder of life skills (including doing laundry, managing bank account, eating well)
- Remind your student to add their cell phone number to the PSUAlert System at psualert.psu.edu to receive text and/or voice alerts
Save the Date: Parents & Families Weekend
- Parents & Families Weekend: October 11 - 13, 2019
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the weather like in the State College area?
Fall is typically very nice. Days can be warm but it will cool down in the evenings. As we get closer to November, the weather begins to get cold. The winters can be cold and snowy. Spring is cool and can be rainy. It is not unusual for us to get snow in March and April. Summers are pleasant with some hot and humid days.
- Where should our student purchase winter clothing?
We typically recommend that students purchase winter clothing here, unless your student arrives in January, at which time they should have at least several pieces of warm clothing. The perk of purchasing it in State College is that there are a variety of options and prices.
- Travel to and from airports
We ask that students and families to find their own travel, but they can take the Megabus from New York City directly to State College. For students looking to get to JFK Airport at the end of the semester, the International Student Council typically organizes a chartered bus. You can visit the Lodging & Transportation page on this website for additional information.
- Planning for out-of-pocket expenses
Students will have to pay for their books and other school supplies, entertainment, and personal needs (e.g. toiletries, clothes, etc.). Students who live off campus and opt out of a meal plan will also need to budget for food.
- Lodging during student arrival
Families are responsible for finding their own accommodations. For Summer, we have a room block code at the Days Inn: CGSU18, but families will need to find their own lodging for the fall.