Campus Recreation Facility FAQs
Frequently Asked Questions
Have Questions about Campus Recreation facilities and programs? We have the answers.
- How old do my kids need to be for me to drop them off to play basketball?
Most Campus Rec facilities are not available for youth under 18 years of age. The Natatorium, the Tennis Center, and Stone Valley Recreation Area are the exceptions. These programs have a variety of youth options available.
- What do I need to access Campus Recreation facilities?
A Campus Recreation Membership is required for swipe access at all Campus Recreation facilities. Currently enrolled full-time students at University Park automatically have access on their student ID+ cards.
- Need more information? Visit our Membership & Access page for details.
- What does a Campus Recreation Membership provide?
Access to fitness centers, most group exercise classes, and open recreation areas (indoor track, basketball, racquetball, squash, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, etc.) in the Intramural and White buildings. Members will also have access to the Hepper Fitness Center at Rec Hall, the Natatorium, and the outdoor pool.
- What is NOT included in a Campus Recreation Membership?
Expanded Services and Programming options will require an additional fee. Examples include personal training, some specialty or individual fitness training, individual climbing training, IM sport registrations, Adventure Recreation trips and Stone Valley rental fees.
- I don't use the fitness centers; I just want to walk on the track, play squash, play basketball, etc. Do I still have to purchase a membership?
Yes. An active membership is required for anyone to enter a Campus Recreation facility (IM Building, White Building, Hepper Fitness Center, Natatorium). Patrons will swipe their valid Penn State ID+ or CRec Membership card upon entering each facility.
- Where can I store my stuff?
We offer free day-use cubbies & lockers as well as long-term locker rentals in Intramural, White & the Natatorium. Don’t have a lock? No problem. Stop by our equipment room and check one out for no additional fee.
- Is there parking available?
There are parking options near all Campus Rec Facilities. Please refer to Penn State Parking for the most current parking options.
- Can I check out sports equipment? How much does it cost?
All Campus Rec members may borrow a variety of sports & fitness equipment to use in our facilities for free with their PSU ID+/Membership Card. Options include, but are not limited to: basketballs, racquetball gear, squash, tennis, table tennis, climbing shoes, bocce sets. Check out our options on our gear rental page.
- Can someone help me learn my way around the equipment at the Fitness Centers?
Our staff is trained and ready to answer your questions, assist with equipment, and help with spotting. If you would like more guidance or want to try a personalized workout check out our personal training program.
- Can I reserve a racquetball or volleyball court?
At the time, Campus Recreation does not have a court reservation system available. Access to courts is on a first-come-first-serve basis.