Skip to main content

Have Questions about Campus Recreation facilities and programs? We have the answers.

What do I need to access Campus Recreation facilities?

A Campus Recreation Membership is required for swipe access at all Campus Recreation facilities. Currently enrolled full-time students at UP automatically have "Access Granted" on their student ID+ cards.More information can be found on the Membership page.

What does a Campus Recreation Membership provide?

Access to fitness centers, most group exercise classes, and open recreation areas (indoor track, basketball, racquetball, squash, volleyball, table tennis, badminton, etc.) in the Intramural and White buildings. Members will also have access to the Hepper Fitness Center at Rec Hall, the Natatorium, and the outdoor pool.

What is NOT included in a Campus Recreation Membership?

ExpandedServices and Programming options will require an additional fee. Examples include personal training, some specialty or individual fitness training, individual climbing training, IM sport registrations, Adventure Recreation trips and Stone Valley rental fees.

I don't use the fitness centers; I just want to walk on the track, play squash, play basketball, etc. Do I still have to purchase a membership?

Yes. An active membership is required for anyone to enter a Campus Recreation facility (IM Building, White Building, Hepper Fitness Center, Natatorium). Patrons will swipe their valid Penn State ID+ or CRec Membership card upon entering each facility.

Why is Campus Recreation making these changes? 

Controlling the access to our facilities will allow Campus Recreation to better monitor traffic in and out of our facilities and to keep the building safe for all users in compliance with Penn State policy. (Penn State policy AD73 Accessing Athletic and Recreational Facilities.) Memberships will allow Campus Recreation to provide a more comprehensive and contemporary collegiate recreation experience, in line with peer institutions, for the Penn State Community with new programming and services as well as state-of-the-art facilities.

Where can I store my stuff? 

We offer free day-use cubbies & lockers as well as long-term locker rentals in Intramural, White & the Natatorium. Don’t have a lock? No problem. Stop by our equipment room and check one out for no additional fee.

Is there parking available? 

There are parking options near all Campus Rec Facilities. Please refer to the specific facility for parking information on our Maps & Directions page.

Can I check out sports equipment? How much does it cost? 

All Campus Rec members may borrow a variety of sports & fitness equipment to use in our facilities for free with their PSU ID+/Membership Card. Options include, but are not limited to: basketballs, racquetball gear, squash, tennis, table tennis, climbing shoes, bocce sets. Check out our options on our gear rental page. 

Can someone help me learn my way around the equipment at the Fitness Centers? 

Our staff is trained and ready to answer your questions, assist with equipment, and help with spotting. If you would like more guidance or want to try a personalized workout check out our personal training program.

Can I reserve a racquetball or volleyball court? 

At the time, Campus Recreation does not have a court reservation system available. Access to courts is on a first-come-first-serve basis.

How old do my kids need to be for me to drop them off to play basketball?

Most Campus Rec facilities are not available for youth under 18 years of age. The Natatorium, the Tennis Center, and Stone Valley Recreation Area are the exceptions.  These programs have a variety of youth options available.

Why do I need to “cancel” my reservation?
  • Student demand for our workout sessions is very high and each session has limited attendance. When an individual does not attend a session, "No Shows" for workout session, the patron is taking an opportunity to participate away from another student. 
  • First “No Show” = written warning 
  • All subsequent "No Shows" = two-week suspension from registering from Campus Recreation programs from the date of the “No Show”

To cancel a pre-registration, the cancellation must be completed prior to the start time of the session. For a quick tutorial on how to cancel your reservation please review the following links.

PDF on how to cancel your reservation, please click here.
Video on how to cancel your reservation, please click here.

Penn State Student Affairs
Campus Recreation

IM Building
University Park, PA 16802