Parents & Families Weekend FAQs
Parents & Families Weekend | October 2-4
7 Steps for An Amazing Virtual Parents & Families Weekend
Before September 14
- Purchase a Family Pride Pack for you and your student – Two full boxes of Penn State pride
- The family package includes a canvas tote bag, travel tumbler, and a car magnet. The student box includes a cozy sweatshirt blanket and a blue and white pom-pom (spirit shaker). Both boxes include a Flat Lion with a Penn State Bucket List (remember Flat Stanley?). Share your Flat Lion’s experience on social media using #IHaveaNittanyLion and #PSUFamily.
- Is you student learning from home this semester? Send both boxes to the same address!
- Order by September 14
- *Family Pride Packs are not required for participation. You can join in the fun, participate in events, and download a printable Flat Lion (available after October 1).
Before October 2
- Explore the event schedule and create a plan for your family
- Events begin on Friday, October 2 at 3:00pm and run through Sunday, October 4 at 4:00pm. Events will be posted beginning September 10.
- Practice your “We Are!” chant
- Are you even a Penn State family if you haven’t yelled “We Are” to someone in a Penn State shirt?
- Share your Then & Now Family Photos
- Do you see the resemblance? Compare and contrast you and your student at the same age (big hair, don’t' care!). Share photos with the Parents Program, one of your Penn State student and one of yourself as a young adult. Watch for your photos to be shared leading up to and during the weekend. Use the above link to upload your photos. Please submit your photos by Friday, September 25.
Beginning October 2
- Enjoy Parents & Families Weekend!
- Create your own schedule and enjoy from the comfort and safety of your home! “Attend” your student’s college event, watch student performances, and learn about Penn State traditions.
- Complete the Family Trivia Challenge!
- You won’t be able to do this alone. Whether your student is on campus or at home, download the challenge on Friday, October 2, complete the tasks with your student’s help and submit your completed challenge by 4:00pm on October 4. Families completing the challenge will be entered to win some awesome Penn State prizes.
- Make sure your Flat Lion has some fun, too!
- Missing your student at the dinner table, use the Flat Lion to fill their seat.
- Is your Flat Lion heading out for the day? Mask up!
- Is your student learning from home? Create your own scavenger hunt and have your student find their Flat Lion.
- Missing Penn State football? Have a tailgate at home and share your family’s Penn State pride with a family photo, with your Flat Lion, of course.
- Post on social media with #IHaveaNittanyLion and #PSUFamily
- You and your student can download a printable Flat Lion (available after October 1)
Questions about the event may be directed to the Penn State Parents Program at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are bringing Parents and Families Weekend to you!
In an effort to protect the health and safety of our entire university community—including students and their families—and mitigate the spread of COVID-19, we will be hosting a virtual Parents and Families Weekend this year.
Parents and Families Weekend is the largest university-sponsored event for the families of our undergraduate students. We always look forward to welcoming families back to campus and celebrating in person; we are sad that we are unable to be together on campus this fall.
The event will include exciting and innovative programs for everyone to enjoy from the safety and comfort of home. From virtual campus tours, college events, to events that highlight the talents and skills of our students, we think you will enjoy the event.
In addition, we are creating a special Family Care Package for both you and your student. Care packages for families include a Penn State canvas tote, tumbler, and car magnet. The student package includes a blanket and a blue and white pom pom (spirit shaker). Each package will also include a flat lion and Penn State bucket list. Family Care Packages will be available for purchase until September 14.
We hope you will make plans to participate in a weekend of fun, informative, and engaging virtual events.
More details, including a schedule and registration information, will be available on the Parents and Families Weekend website in mid-September.
Questions? Contact the Penn State Parents Program at email@example.com.